Mendoza Activites - any advice?

laLuz

Registered
I need a break from BsAs so I'm planning to go to Mendoza for 3-4 days early in October. Fellow Mendoza expats, u can surely give me some recommendation on hostels, things to do? I'm an outdoor girl, love hiking, biking.. And I'm pretty independent and not a big fan of too many organized and expensive tours.
- Are there 1-day trekks in Parque Aconcagua? Do I need to book a tour there or is it possible to get there on my own, is there public transport?
- Up-to-date tips on wine-cycle tours?
- Hostel? I prefer the small, family-run hostels where not only english is spoken.
- Other things not to be missed, maybe off-the-beaten track?
Thanx for your help!

If you want to see all the things on the mountain on the way to the Chilean border, do an Alta Montaña tour. No time for hiking but you do go to the lookout of Aconcagua. Hopefully the weather will be oK up there that early in the season.

You can either pay a package deal from a hostel or hotel to drive you to the wine country (Maipu or Lujan de Cuyo) which includes the bike rental, or you just take a local city bus and rent them yourself for 1/4 the cost. Your call.

For you hostel preference, don't stay at Damajuana. There are plenty of small and quaint hostels within the city center (clearly defined by a large bordering avenue)

I think it would be impossible to go to the mountain on your own without staying up there a night or two. The Alta Montaña tour takes you through it all very quickly in about 12 hours. If that is not your style, stay for the night up in Usapallata or something. Sorry I don't know much about day-hikes but when I was there, a girl did one in November and she was in shorts and hiking shoes and had to climb through nearly half meter of snow... not sure if it's what you're looking for but just Google it I guess. :/ HAVE FUN!!!

PS. if you like outdoors stuff there are horse back tours, river rafting tours, all just day or half-day activities, all with organized tours though. If you stick to the hostel scene the tours are 'backpacker' price ;)

Uii siii.. that's why I'm asking. Don't want to make a fool of myself in urban look fighting through the snow. I have pretty good trekking gear but it's all back home in Suiza. I found it a bit difficult to find info on trekking on the internet but I'm sure I can work things out once I'm there.
So you say take a local city bus and once you arrive in the wine places there are bikes to rent? Good to know this option, will see, I also like to hang out with other people (maybe I sounded like a unsocial egoista). But it's just that I'm not really working at the moment so I'm watching my budget a bit..
Ah one more thing: I will take the bus going on to Santiago. You think it's still worth to do the Alta Montaña Tour or will you see more less the same?

I am sending you a pm, as any longer posts or posts with useful links tend to get stuck (and die) with the terrible review system here. It is very frustrating trying to pass on useful info on this site.

laLuz said:
Uii siii.. that's why I'm asking. Don't want to make a fool of myself in urban look fighting through the snow. I have pretty good trekking gear but it's all back home in Suiza. I found it a bit difficult to find info on trekking on the internet but I'm sure I can work things out once I'm there.
So you say take a local city bus and once you arrive in the wine places there are bikes to rent? Good to know this option, will see, I also like to hang out with other people (maybe I sounded like a unsocial egoista). But it's just that I'm not really working at the moment so I'm watching my budget a bit..
Ah one more thing: I will take the bus going on to Santiago. You think it's still worth to do the Alta Montaña Tour or will you see more less the same?

Well on the bus I think it's the same route but you don't get to stop for photos or see any of the little towns on the way (I liked Uspallata). YOu just drive by quickly. If you have a window seat on the bus, great, but I really enjoyed having the time to see everything for at least a few minutes and get some great photos. I really enjoyed. It was cheap too, maybe $30 or $40USD for the day.

Back