Men's fashion advice, please

kellymonaghan

Registered
I'm coming to BA for about five weeks starting January 6 and I was wondering if porteños ever wear Bermuda shorts?

And what about sneakers (or trainers) for anything but jogging?

Any pointers on what the well-dressed but casual gent wears about town in the heat of summer will be appreciated. Just don't want to look like a total dork if I can avoid it.

I know for sure portenos like to wear anything thats says adidas,puma, etc... dont make the same mistake that I did of wearing brand new leather shoes here, they will take a beating! Just wear comfortable sneakers that are not too flashy!

While you pay your ticket at the restaurant, pub, bar or concent, go dressed as you want. Perhaps if you want to dance tango, there you will need to wear shoes and a little more dressy.

If you're a well-dressed but casual gent, you'll know that you don't wear trainers for anything but jogging. Converse are very popular, as are flip flops and many other kinds of casual (non-trainer) type shoe. Bring shoes that are comfortable that you can wear with shorts and with pants. You will be walking a ton.

The rest of your question pertains more to where you'll be going. No, don't wear berumda shorts to a milonga, to a fancy restaurant, to Faina for cocktails. But you can wear them to the park, to the bar, etc., just like you would anywhere else. Bring something nicer for nights out (a button down short sleeve shirt, nice dark jeans or trousers), but people most definitely wear shorts and t-shirts. Trust your own sense of fashion, don't dress like a slob, don't wear denim shorts (ever) with a tourist shirt tucked into them and you'll be fine. It's probably not all that different than what you're already used to.

have fun!

Forget everyone else they don’t know what they are talking about.
Straw hat, sun glasses, Hawaiian shirts, Bermuda shorts, white socks and shoes, expensive camera.
All good.....
Extra points: Map in back pocket, guide book in one hand and iPad in the other.
Bonus extra points: Dress like the person you are with down to a NRA or W ‘04 or NASCAR or NFL wind breaker.
If you don’t have a wind breaker one of those vests full of pins and patches from everywhere you have been.
So everyone around you knows you are a foreigner / tourist with money, talk loud.

haahhaa! you forgot, wear a bling bling necklace, Crocs shoes, I love B.A shirts, listening to an ipod or texting messaging from a sidekick

Depending on which areas are you going to hang out, be aware of the different kinds of thieves existing here.

There was an extensive "thread" on the subject a year or two ago. Perhaps you can find it using the search engine.

Great advice. I feel at home already.

(Although I burned the only W '04 t-shirt. The wearer is recovering nicely.)

Back