Mercury-Free Fish

I think we will go the rainbow trout route!

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/avoiding-mercury-in-fish-topic-overview

The FDA and EPA recommend that women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children:1, 2
  • Do not eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel, or tilefish, because these all contain high levels of mercury.
  • Eat up to 12 oz (340 g) a week (two average meals) of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
    • Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    • Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna, has more mercury than canned light tuna. So when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 oz (170 g) a week (one average meal) of albacore tuna.
Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 oz (170 g) a week (one average meal) of fish caught from local waters, but don't eat any other fish during that week.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise

s_hwlogo.gif

Last Updated: June 04, 2014

This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.

© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.

Further Reading

See All Environmental Illness Topics

Healthy Recipe Finder

Browse our collection of healthy, delicious recipes, from WebMD andEating Well magazine.
Top searches: Chicken, Chocolate, Salad,Desserts, Soup

You might also like

Recommended For You

I don't think mercury is the only thing people should be watching in fish, maybe radiation too from Fukasama or whatever its called. last time I check radiation was super high on west coastal lines of Cali, Oregon, Washington, Canada, and Mexico. Thats probably a bigger problem than mercury!

Back