Milei's Omnibus Law

I think the Milei Derangement Syndrome is making some to focus on the black robes, and not the fact that it's actually about implementing jury trials. Funny how Milei is criticized for both providing too few details and also for providing too many details for implementing something properly.

Not just rolling back laws, but weird pointless shit like making judges wear black robes and use a gavel... I like Law and Order and My Cousin Vinny as much as the next guy, but when you look at the total chaos that is Argentina right now, how do you come to think "Yeah, the court is not dressed like Judge Judy, that's our problem..."

I don't disagree with everything in the proposal, but it just again shows how divorced from reality many people in LLA are that their minds go to stuff like this when asked for proposals for the first omnibus package of laws Congress will receive during an emergency session.
Over 300 pretty full articles in the DNU but it’s the obscure black robes one that proves how out of touch this proposal is?… let’s just say that if the dnu was that meaningless it wouldn’t be fought so hard by all the unions and Ks.

But most importantly this type of comment is precisely what completely baffles me. Quilombo who is one of the most interesting and clearly smartest contributors to this page comes up with this? My friends in the companies on the list to be privatised too reach for the same level of ‘ah pero’ comment. And all I can think is the blatantly obvious ‘please I totally get it that you are worried for your job and that’s completely understandable as you work bloody hard for your carrier, so just say so and let’s work on it, but come on you are too smart to come up with that bullshit let alone believe it?!!’

Since the campaign, there is a lot of focus on "headlines" and "perceptions" and little focus on actual content, which would open the door to real debate on possible alternatives and solutions (hint: solutions and alternatives to problems certain sectors have zero interest in changing) rather than just "Milei = Evil, DNU = Bad, Omnibus = Unacceptable, Milei = Doomed to fail". I get that with 664 amendments in the Omnibus package and 366 in the DNU, it is a lot for anyone to take in, not exactly light bedtime reading. But, assuming people know what the rest of it says, I would be relieved if a point like judges in black robes is the point that raises the most eyebrows as it shows how normal and reasonable the overwhelming majority of these laws would be in any other developed country to be able to make a reasonable assessment of the overall package.

For example, just today I casually discussed with someone hellbent on the idea that this package was anti-LGBT. When I asked what proposed law exactly was anti-LGBT they could not provide a single answer and simply flew into a fit of rage letting loose on how terrible Mieli is as a person and how imperative it is for us to "resist Milei". Resist what exactly, I could not ascertain... but if for example, they (a) knew about and (b) wanted to discuss article 348 and the possible albeit indirect implications of closing INADI, perhaps we could have got to what actual LGBT rights and liberties are being harmed and then what possible alternatives to INADI exist (e.g. private local and international NGOs, the judiciary, etc). But bueno according to this kind of mindset, Milei voters are mostly all naïvely mistaken and it is completely democratic to resist democracy if one simply doesn't like the outcome. Daaaaaale!

For example, just today I casually discussed with someone hellbent on the idea that this package was anti-LGBT. When I asked what proposed law exactly was anti-LGBT they could not provide a single answer ...

Diana Mondino, spokesperson for Milei and current Minister of Foreign Affairs, clarifies her "liberal" views on the same-sex marriage.

Diana Mondino, spokesperson for Milei and current Minister of Foreign Affairs, clarifies her "liberal" views on the same-sex marriage.

So what actual policies or amendments is she or her party proposing on the subject?

Frankly I couldn’t care less about someone’s personal opinions (or strange choice of words) as long as they don’t impose them on me (or others) and don’t cause me (or others) any harm. Opinions are one thing, tolerance is another and policies are a whole different ball park.

Last edited:
Back