Minister of Justice Anibal Fernandez says Brothels prevent rape

rosie_scam

Registered
Hey Expats!

I'm a London-based journalist and former BsAs resident, writing on the Wikileaks cables.

One released in April (
http://www.cablegatesearch.net/cable.php?id=09BUENOSAIRES602&q=aires%20buenos) reveals that Minister of Justice Anibal Fernandez said brothels in Santa Cruz "have helped prevent rape".

"He explained that most of Santa Cruz's residents emigrated to the province where they work primarily in the oil and gas industries. He said these workers "make a lot of money, and if they do not have a place to spend the money, they are likely to rape women to satisfy their desires.""

I'm interested in hearing expat and local reactions to this statement.

Please feel free to post your thoughts here, or sent me a message so we can arrange a Skype conversation in the next few days.

Many thanks!

Rosie Scammell

www.twitter.com/rosiescammell

Local here. This guy has a reputation for making "eccentric" provoking statements, to say the very least, but if this is real and he really suggested that men would commit such a horrible crime because they have money and are bored... I really wouldn't know what to call it. I know the guy can be terribly scornful and cynical. It's hard for me to give a definite opinion (let alone an authoritative one), but a priori I'd say it's another of his distasteful, low-blow mockeries. He expects the interlocutor to believe it just as much as he cares.

Back