Missing Persons: What Is It Even There For

I'm really sorry for the guy, I wonder how he's doing and as a biker myself I'd like to know where he had the accident.

I sympathize with rebelling against cellphones, but the location of someone with a cellphone is instantly traceable with varying degrees of facility depending on whether you prepare for the situation or not, but in any case it's doable. So this is just the cost of choosing not to go around with a phone.

Lastly, is it just me or the title of this topic, in an Argentine forum, seems a little tongue in cheek or even outright cruel (obviously unintentionally)? Well, after all 35 years have passed. But y Julio Lopez?

Yes, I do understand the police's plight and how hard it is to get a hold of people who don't show up. I called again to asked how exactly does the system work and got a guy who was rude and told me that "it's not the police's fault that your friend did not want to contact you!" which is when I had to tell him that they guy was unconscious and had no way of contacting me and that is why I called. And yes, I may be "just a friend," so I guess that's why I wasn't taken seriously at any moment. He then told me that they only have NNs (unidentified people) in the system, and that's when I say, ok, got it, so next time I have to call someone else about it, to which he replied that I have to get a cellphone. Money disappeared from the guy's wallet and he's had many cellphone stolen from him. I don't think everyone's mean enough to steal something from an injured guy (although apparently it is okay to hit someone and just keep driving), but c'mon. Is it really that implausible if someone does not have a cellphone these days?

The important thing is that my friend is ok. He made it to his flight after I took the day off from work (the boss was angry for taking a day off after I explained everything that happened, but that's a story for another day) and I now know that if I get hit by a car, I can expect that no one will come looking for me. It's okay, really it is, as I'm not going to expect my casual accomplices or coworkers to be ok with me listing them as emergency contacts in a future cellphone I might have. I just wish people were more sympathetic about the situation. I make a point of sticking my neck out for the people I care about and I feel like I failed someone.

Oh, and thanks everyone for your concern and your constructive comments. Accidents happen everywhere, so please take care of yourselves.

I'm really sorry for the guy, I wonder how he's doing and as a biker myself I'd like to know where he had the accident.

I sympathize with rebelling against cellphones, but the location of someone with a cellphone is instantly traceable with varying degrees of facility depending on whether you prepare for the situation or not, but in any case it's doable. So this is just the cost of choosing not to go around with a phone.

Lastly, is it just me or the title of this topic, in an Argentine forum, seems a little tongue in cheek or even outright cruel (obviously unintentionally)? Well, after all 35 years have passed. But y Julio Lopez?
So, I'm currently having to go through loops to get his bicycle back, which they do not want to give me because I am not him. I have spoken to the police and it turns out that the accident occurred in Las Heras and Coronel Díaz, most likely on the bici senda, and he may have been going towards Libertador to return to my house, but I'm not sure. The time was also confirmed; it happened at 7:20 pm.

Cecil what a great friend you were to him. You failed no one. Any criticisms speak more to the person voicing them than you. We are all wiser with hindsight. I hope those criticising you have their Perfect Person diplomas framed and hung prominently in their bathrooms.

Back