Money And Banking

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm gonna bring in as much cash as I can scare up and when friends visit get them to bring in cash too.

Now I have a Xoom question: I'm still in the US and looking online for a place to stay for a couple weeks while I find something more long-term. (sólodueños, zonaprop, argenprop, etc). Trying to keep it on the cheap.

I'd rather put down the deposit via Xoom to get their good exchange rate (I assume places like Western Union use the official rate). I figure I'll transfer directly to the dueño's bank account-- has anyone done this kind of thing? Does it show up in the person's bank pretty quickly without a hassle to them? Xoom's website says you can't use the service for "commercial purposes." Is this something they actually check?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm gonna bring in as much cash as I can scare up and when friends visit get them to bring in cash too.

Now I have a Xoom question: I'm still in the US and looking online for a place to stay for a couple weeks while I find something more long-term. (sólodueños, zonaprop, argenprop, etc). Trying to keep it on the cheap.

I'd rather put down the deposit via Xoom to get their good exchange rate (I assume places like Western Union use the official rate). I figure I'll transfer directly to the dueño's bank account-- has anyone done this kind of thing? Does it show up in the person's bank pretty quickly without a hassle to them? Xoom's website says you can't use the service for "commercial purposes." Is this something they actually check?

1: Not sure you can transfer directly to someone elses account
2: Don't trust anyone. You have no recourse if you turn up and the property doesn't exist. Sometimes trying to save money actually ends up costing more.

Consider a hostel or cheap hotel for the first few nights while you work out the neighbourhoods and look for something longer term. Consider finding a room on airbnb.com as they offer you protection against being ripped off.

Can't transfer from US to a dueños Argentine account. But some have accounts in Miami that you can transfer to. But really don't pay any significant money until you've SEEN the place personally. Or are sure you are dealing with a reputable agency or person.! Too any folks have been scammed this way!

Thanks guys. I just booked airbnb. Everything else felt too risky. For the record, xoom's website says, "Bank Deposit to Argentina-- Deposit money into any bank including Santander, BBVA Francés and Banco Provincia." So it looks like they do it, but I wasn't sure if it's a hassle on the BsAs bank end--

You can transfer into a BA bank account with Xoom. I do it all the time. BUT, there's a round of paperwork you the recipient has go through first.

The great thing about Xoom, is that the turnaround can often be within hours. Definitely 24 hours. Ría Money Transfers is proving to take about 2 weeks.

Back