More robberies in Argentina than anywhere else in the Americas

nicoenarg said:
Lol. SLeslie, thanks for waiting for my permission before you made that comparison, or who knows what would have happened!

By the way, it is sad that you and Citygirl have to point at smiley faces...where are the days when people used to inherently understand these smileys!

I was kind of making fun of Citygirl with that comment, but I'm sure she is bunkered down in her safe room and isn't reading BAexpats at the moment.

:) <-- Note, reuse of the smiley face. :)

Eclair said:
I have a hard time believing that Argentina is the only one that misrepresents the numbers or that it's the worse city (for robberies or in general) of all of the Americas. :p

I'm not a crime denier -we live on guard like everyone else and take precautions in our everyday life to try to stay safe, and frankly I'm more than annoyed at the 'justice' system :rolleyes:- but the little I know from people who lived in Venezuela, Costa Rica, or Colombia gives me the sense that Argentina isn't that bad. This isn't Juarez Mexico. Just as there's fear and a sense of uselessness of going to police here, I'd venture to stay it's the same in a lot of these other countries. Who is going to care about your stolen lawnmower if the police are busy with drug cartels and gangs? I think experience is more valuable than statistics in these cases when judging the relative safety of a city.

That's not to say Argentina doesn't have a crime problem... I just would take this 'report' and #1 ranking with a grain of salt.

Is all of Mexico like Juarez?

sleslie23 said:
I was kind of making fun of Citygirl with that comment, but I'm sure she is bunkered down in her safe room and isn't reading BAexpats at the moment.

:) <-- Note, reuse of the smiley face. :)

When making fun of people, you are better served by using ;) or :rolleyes:... ;)

I was actually out and about living my life, no safe room today. And look, I came home alive:rolleyes:

Like El Queso, I actually think this thread and topic has probably reached its end point for me. I posted the link because I thought it was interesting and important, esp given Argentina's #1 ranking for the last 10 years (with the drop to #2 one year). Trend not anomaly.

I have never said I find Argentina to be the most dangerous place or advocating living in fear. I have pointed out over the last few years that taking precautions here, due to the frequency of robberies, is a good idea. And that crime is an issue here, despite what the gov't says. Punto.

I enjoy you guys' and gals SO MUCH. Some of it is real thinking stuff, which I like, and some I giggle all the way through. Here is a quote:

Irish people like myself talk about the weather a lot and especially about the rain. Argentinos about crime. Why?"

We have to talk about SOMETHING and you can't beat the weather in Argentina! It's absolutely great! It's one of the reasons I love it here. Well . . . . I guess we COULD talk about it--except it would be way too positive! ;D

Back