More USD restrictions

trennod said:
Look I agree with you regarding tax evasion and illicit earnings. Not so sure how it will significantly impact on wealth concentration.

To be honest I actually dont mind so much the restrictions to the extent that you need to get the all clear from AFIP (ie to ensure you are paying your taxes etc), but it is a severe restrictions of freedom to ban the purchase of USD completely, as is the case at the moment (bar travel).

I also agree to many of the changes if this is going to clean up and blanquear transactions in Argentina. I think the amount of tax evasion going on in this country is ludicrous -- and I'm not just talking about the mid- to upper- classes but also amongst the poor, many of whom live en negro and yet take advantage of services here.

However I do think that what is getting ludicrous is the amount of restrictions being applied to people who are 100% above board.

On a side note -- does anyone have any information regarding international transfers out of the country? We are always considering a "Plan B" of moving -- my husband believes that with his permanent residency card for Canada if he were to move he should be able to get approval from AFIP to shut his account here, change the pesos into USD, and wire them abroad. I for one highly doubt this would be possible -- does anyone have any idea?

Last time I left, I had 200 pesos left over not knowing I was coming back so soon I bought 200 pesos of candy for friends at the kiosk at EZE. Kept a few teenagers busy for a few days. This time I'll spend my last pesos on the taxi to the airport. I'm sitting on dollars and just change a few hundred at a time, the rate is not going down any time soon

syngirl said:
On a side note -- does anyone have any information regarding international transfers out of the country? We are always considering a "Plan B" of moving -- my husband believes that with his permanent residency card for Canada if he were to move he should be able to get approval from AFIP to shut his account here, change the pesos into USD, and wire them abroad. I for one highly doubt this would be possible -- does anyone have any idea?

It is hard to say cause rules change every day here. I remember back in December when I bought a house here, the escribano told me that if I sold the house, I could not take the US dollars out of the country for the next two years because the Banco Central has a "normativa" about short term capital inflows. He mentioned that this rule was approved in October 2011. Definitely, you need to ask someone who really know about this. AFIP will be useless.

Back