Moving back to Argentina: Customs' question

porteña

Registered
Hi,

I am an Argentine repat. I will be bringing clothes and books from the US after having lived (again) in Argentina for a year. If anybody has brought personal items from abroad after residing here for a year or longer, I'd like to know if you have experienced any problems or had to pay any Customs' charges, or if they did not care about clothes and books (which, I guess, is likely...). Also, what passport did you use to enter the country?

How about the electronic items? Yes, I think this is where they will be interested in charging something, notwithstanding the passport (?)...

Thank you in advance for any comments!

They only charge you if they see the products are new (electronics in original boxes and clothes with tags).

Are you bringing them with you on the plane or having them shipped?

minibrain said:

She clearly states that:

"I will be bringing clothes and books from the US..."

I just came back from the US about a month ago after living there for 10 years. I brought 5 suitcases with all my clothes, tons of electronics, 2 computers, etc.. basically all the stuff i accumulated over the years. Customs guy asked me " are all those suitcases yours?" I replied "Yes, i'm argentine moving back to argentina" (which is true). He said " Go ahead" did not check anything and let me pass.

For more security, I know that, if you are Argentine, the Argentine consulate can issue you a "certificate of relocation" (or something called like that) that allows you to move back to Argentina with all your belongings. You can even bring a container with that and should not be charged anything, as long as it is all personal stuff (not brand new). Just check with your nearest consulate in the US. And of course, you should re-enter Argentina with your Argentine passport (even if now you have the US one). Don't worry if your Argentine passport expired, the consulate will issue a stamp in the old one that is good to re-enter the country.

Best,

L.

mini said:

I was planning to bring all my clothes with me on the plane, even if they charge me something for the extra weight, and possibly ship the books... if this makes sense...

MatiArg said:
I just came back from the US about a month ago after living there for 10 years. I brought 5 suitcases with all my clothes, tons of electronics, 2 computers, etc.. basically all the stuff i accumulated over the years. Customs guy asked me " are all those suitcases yours?" I replied "Yes, i'm argentine moving back to argentina" (which is true). He said " Go ahead" did not check anything and let me pass.

Oh, what great news!! One question: you have not lived here for more than 3 months the year before, right? Because, when I had to renew my Arg passport last December, they told me that I was now considered an Arg resident again due to having been here for more than 3 months... this made me think they may tell me that, "hey, you are now a resident bringing stuff from abroad and not just moving back" when I pass through Customs again with my stuff...

leanuk said:
For more security, I know that, if you are Argentine, the Argentine consulate can issue you a "certificate of relocation" (or something called like that) that allows you to move back to Argentina with all your belongings. You can even bring a container with that and should not be charged anything, as long as it is all personal stuff (not brand new). Just check with your nearest consulate in the US. And of course, you should re-enter Argentina with your Argentine passport (even if now you have the US one). Don't worry if your Argentine passport expired, the consulate will issue a stamp in the old one that is good to re-enter the country.

Best,

L.

Thank you!! I had no clue about this certificate. This sounds like the ideal solution. I will check with the Los Angeles consulate!

Back