Moving company recommendations?

Sleuth

Registered
Does anyone have any recommendations for a moving company? I'm looking for a company that can handle the whole move (boxes, bed, couch, other furniture, etc). Going from Olivos to Belgrano...

Thanks.

Check mercado libre under "mudanzas" and you will also be able to see user feedback.

We were happy with Lift Van. They brought out stuff from customs to storage to our apt & my work studio. They were quick & professional.

http://www.liftvan.com

Lift van looks expensive.

I know from experience that foreigners are often quoted/charged higher prices.

Pericles got a quote of $3500 pesos over the phone for my move to Bahia Blanca. I expect them to want a bit more as I've purchased a lot more furniture since Perry got the quote. The maximum should not exceeed $4500 pesos.

I just got a bid from another company who actually came to my apartment. They want $9,000 pesos! I didn't say anything but I did think of a post on another forum regarding haggling with ladies of the night. The poster suggested being able to say the following in Spanish:

"I may be a foreigner, but I don't want to pay double."

Thanks for the advice. Our move is within Argentina and my girlfriend is Argentine, so I'll let her do the talking.

I went back & checked re: lift van. We did not pay the Lift Van part. So they probably are expensive. Having said that they were really great.

The company that we did pay to move my stuff from storage at Lift Van to my work studio was another company Mer-Car Fleet. I thought it as also Lift Van but I check with my husband who told me it was this other company. They were also professional, super nice & quick & they were not expensive.

I've also used Honda Verde. They were not as professional but they were cheap. They showed up super late & were a bit clumsy. So I'd recommend them only for simple things.

IMHO.....don't go with the cheapest bid....and don't forget the insurance....and read the fine print of such a policy. We moved from UY to ARG using an Intl. mover, paid about mid-range prices....got excellent service at both ends of move... used these movers.....http://www.imb.com.uy/contactos.html. They do have a presence here in BsAs. as well..

Capri Mudanzas
4671-2759

They just moved me from Pilar to San Martin Plaza area. Extremely professional. Equipped with every tool they needed to do a variety of things, like take apart my desk, my refrigerator, etc - a number of things that were big and had a hard time getting into the apartment.

The only thing about these guys is that you're paying by the hour. However, they hustle their rear ends off. They never stood still except when one of them had a problem that needed a solution before they could continue. During that 7 hours it took to move me, the only break they took was when I brought them water - I even told them they should break, but they wanted to get if finished.

My family and I did the packing ourselves, over a week, so the 7 hours only included the time to pack the truck, drive to town, and unload into the apartment. We moved a 3 bedroom house with an office (or 4 bedrooms) into a 2 bedroom apartment with an office.

Here are their costs:

28 pesos per hour per man

100 pesos per hour for the truck.

It cost me 1500 pesos to move.

The cheapest estimate I got for a non-packing move was 1800 pesos for a fixed price. The chepaest I got for a packing move was 2500 pesos.

If you hired them to come out to pack the day before, and it took 7 hours to pack (about what I experienced the first time I moved [different company] when they packed), without the truck price it would be about an extra 700 pesos or so, or about 2200 pesos.

A lot of the time on the moving in side included some problems we had getting my desk and the refrigerator in the apartment.

They had to take my desk apart (very large and very heavy) and lift the sections by rope to the balconey (they did the same with my kitchen table and sofa and two love seats while they were at it).

The refrigerator went where there was already an existing fridge from the owners, who were leaving it also for us. When they moved the old fridge out of the way, they found out there was a ledge at back and my larger fridge wouldn't fit. So instead of being screwed, they manufacturerd a platform for the front of the fridge so it could sit on the ledge at back (it was only about three inches high), did a professional job, and were able to install the fridge.

These guys were recommended to me by a friend who uses them all the time to move furniture around. I can't recommend them enough.

My last move, the movers broke my specially-made long leather couch in half and tried to tell me that it was already broken when they moved it, and smashed three boxes of glasses and dishes to little bitty pieces. Literally.

Capri movers are hard workers, professional and quite nice. Flavio, the son of the owner, was extremely helpful, not at all somber - he joked around, but not too much, and got things taken care of.

Does anyone have experience with Elishar Mudanzas? Their quote for my move back to the US using a half-sized shipping container is about US$9000; Lift Van's is about US$11,500. One difference is that LiftVan says there is a mandatory $2000 intensive verification fee for drugs at the port of Buenos Aires; Elishar says $500.
I have to make a decision today or tomorrow; all comments much appreciated!

Back