Moving from Costa Rica to BA should I do it?

julicar12

Registered
Hi! Although this is my first post I've been browsing this forum since many months ago. I've read some great discussions here!

To the point this my situation. I am Costa Rican and I came back home from a 1 year ago from a 3 year assignment in Boston, MA. Still living with my mom and was ready to get a place here but now my company offered me a 2 year assignment in Buenos Aires. I've been there twice on work assignments (2 weeks each) and I enjoyed them a lot. Of course I am aware these were on travel expense accounts and things always are fun on those. Anyways, my assignment would pay me 10% less after deductions of what I am making in Costa Rica but there are some extra perks. I want to figure out if I will be able to help my mom as I do now and still have a good time down there. I know I will be coming back in 2 years so I would want to do some trips during my alloted vacation time. Definetely Iguazu, Bariloche, Patagonia, the glaciers, maybe Santiago and Rio de Janeiro. Plus I would like to bring my mom and small sister here at least once a year.

My company is offering me $11,000 argentine pesos after deductions. I would want to help my mom with up to $3000 per month so that would leave me with $8,000. Of these I would like to save $1500-$2000 per month during my whole time here so that would leave me with $6000-$6500 ARS free salary. Do you think I would be able to enjoy myself with that free amount???

I won't have to worry about housing as my company will give me an apt 3 blocks from my office (in Palermo). I will only have to pay a small portion of the rent ($500 AR) plus utilities. I dont usually go out a lot during the week but I guess I will have to host a weekly after hours for my peers (seems to be obligatory for whoever uses the company apt =)

I would honestly like to swap BS AS for costa rica right now

if you can give me a great apartment on the beach for $2000 / US a month, lets do it

Very interesting. I think that it's very commendable of you to help your mother. You could probably live fairly well, here, but I think that your travel plans would have to e scaled down. You didn't mention if you or your company would pay for your visits to Costa Rica. The way prices keep rising here is scary. You may find yourself saving less and less from each paycheck.

You'll do fine if you are not a big spender, if you are thinking about it and don't take it, you will always think what if...

julicar12 said:
Hi! Although this is my first post I've been browsing this forum since many months ago. I've read some great discussions here!

To the point this my situation. I am Costa Rican and I came back home from a 1 year ago from a 3 year assignment in Boston, MA. Still living with my mom and was ready to get a place here but now my company offered me a 2 year assignment in Buenos Aires. I've been there twice on work assignments (2 weeks each) and I enjoyed them a lot. Of course I am aware these were on travel expense accounts and things always are fun on those. Anyways, my assignment would pay me 10% less after deductions of what I am making in Costa Rica but there are some extra perks. I want to figure out if I will be able to help my mom as I do now and still have a good time down there. I know I will be coming back in 2 years so I would want to do some trips during my alloted vacation time. Definetely Iguazu, Bariloche, Patagonia, the glaciers, maybe Santiago and Rio de Janeiro. Plus I would like to bring my mom and small sister here at least once a year.

My company is offering me $11,000 argentine pesos after deductions. I would want to help my mom with up to $3000 per month so that would leave me with $8,000. Of these I would like to save $1500-$2000 per month during my whole time here so that would leave me with $6000-$6500 ARS free salary. Do you think I would be able to enjoy myself with that free amount???

I won't have to worry about housing as my company will give me an apt 3 blocks from my office (in Palermo). I will only have to pay a small portion of the rent ($500 AR) plus utilities. I dont usually go out a lot during the week but I guess I will have to host a weekly after hours for my peers (seems to be obligatory for whoever uses the company apt =)

If your rent is only $500 AR you will be fine...especially if you are pretty!!! jajaja

Is the savings for travel or would that come out of the $6,000?

Most here will tell you that you can live fine on that. It really depends on your standards. You won't be eating in the best BA restaurants or staying in Rio and Santiago's top hotels, but you can live a pleasant middle class lifestyle.

$11K is a good young professional salary, but I'm guessing most spend all of it.

ARS 5500-6000 AFTER rent is plenty of money to enjoy yourself. I'm spending about ARS 4000 a month after rent, and I live nicely. :)

Make sure to bring some gallo pinto and coffee with you!

julicar12 said:
To the point this my situation. I am Costa Rican and I came back home from a 1 year ago from a 3 year assignment in Boston, MA.

im tica!! :D :D jaja. 11k pesos it's a lot. you'll find bsas super cheap compared to sjo. i mean when i moved here i was "i want everything i see... it's a cheeeaaaapppp madness" jajaja.

i hope you have good time. contact me if you need something :)

Thanks everyone for your responses including fellow tica nolonelyplanet!

@MichaelG You wouldn't believe what $2000USD can get you in San Jose as upscale rentals start at around $500USD/month. Not sure at the beaches but I guess resort like rentals in Guanacaste (where in my opinion all the beautiful beaches are located) might get US type pricing.

@fred yes I get an allowance of 1 return ticket to CR every 3months (can go there or can give it to someone to visit me). Not sure if I can accumulate them, dont think so.

So looks the offer might be ok and now the decision I have to make is if I want to leave my elderly mother once again, I am sure it would be pretty depressing for her. On the other hand I think I can help her more from BsAs economically than if I stayed. Money isnt everything in life but it helps I guess.

I think this would be what could throw me into sadness down there. I've read all the posts of people wanting to get out of BsAs and prices and culture seems to be a common topic.

If I take the job I guess I can live ok and scale down my travel plans if I need to, its just that 2 years sounds to me like extended-tourist status and I know I will be tempted to cross out top 10 lists.

@nolonelyplanet que tuanis una compa en este chante luego si caigo jeteamos un rato! (sorry por el pachuco es pa que se queden bateados los demas!)

@julicar12, maeeeee.... mándeme un praivet y hacemos la jugada y le hago de guía turístico y la vara (sos mae o chick?)

Back