Moving In August

sarabeth

Registered
Hey all!

So I'm looking at moving to Buenos Aires in August. I've lived in the city before for about a year through an exchange program at my undergrad. I'm looking to live in my own place, and work wherever I can. I know the cost of living has gone up since I was there last, and also that the job market can be tricky.

As far as renting a place, are there any other options for renting sin garantia aside from paying 6 months rent up front? I'm not opposed to paying ahead, but how often does that work? I'm looking for a studio apartment to be about 6000ARS/mo without expenses maximum. I am looking to sign a 2 year least though. Any leads or advice in how to navigate this situation?

I also am looking to work wherever I can. What have people's experiences been like teaching english? Was the TEFL certificate helpful? How much were you able to make monthly teaching (ball park figure)?

I'm looking forward to my move and all the crazy logistics that come with it. Thanks for any help at all!

try airbnb.com it usually includes all utilities, etc. and you can pay month by month i think.

You'd be lucky to find a room at that price. Try doubling the 6000 and you are getting in the ballpark. Then you will run yourself ragged trying to come up with the amount of money it takes to live here nowadays.

How long ago were you here?

Things have changed a lot in the last few years. Things aren't the same as they were 10 or even 5 years ago. It doesn't seem to be a very expat friendly time.

People are strapped for cash, so I'm not sure how many locals are looking for extras like English lessons at this time... and the dollar definitely doesn't go as far as it used to.

I admire your enthusiasm but I think you need to revise the cost of your outgoings just to be on the safe side. Better to arrive with enough cash to see you through several months of comfortable living without having to rely on finding work to pay the bills. From what I've seen there does seem to be an awful lot of English teachers looking for work in BA these days as a result their income probably isn't as great as some expected it to be.

All the best anyway.

Hi Sarabeth,

You can learn a lot quite easily from those who learned the hard way...just by reading their posts.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]
photo-thumb-17698.png
Posted by ARbound on 23 March 2014 - 02:43 PM in Newcomers Forum[/background]
Well an update from myself and my advise to anyone considering this:

Unless you're coming from a country in which Argentina has an agreement on high school equivalentcy (and even then still) don't waste your time here, go to a good school in a good country.

Also, unless you have thousands of USD/EUR saved it will be a fruitless attempt as school at UBA is free, but you must complete all the required courses and still go through all the legalization issues, not to mention speak Spanish and have a source of income (you're going to be hard pressed to get a good paying job/[background=yellow]teaching[/background] [background=yellow]English[/background], I work full time and make $600 usd a month).

Go anywhere but here people, don't make the mistakes I've made...[/background]

photo-thumb-17698.png
Posted by ARbound on 16 March 2014 - 12:26 PM in Expat Life

I'm trying to be polite here but please tell me you just didn't fly to another country, went to the criminal records
department to get yours (which would be clean of course) and then went to the immigration office and said
"I'd like to be a resident please".

Yes this is Argentina but seriously, that doesn't work anywhere unless you have a lot of money and even then
you're going to need a lot of proof so you can get elective residency.

If I was the guy at migrations I would have told you to go away too.

Also, hate to burst your bubble but you're not going to get a job [background=yellow]teaching[/background] [background=yellow]English[/background] that will
also give you a DNI. If you do, let the rest of us know so we can do the same.

If you don't believe what we're saying please use the following tool (as the site's search
function isn't very good)

In Google, type: site: www.baexpats.org [background=yellow]English[/background] teacher/dni/whatever you want to know

the site: www.baexpats.org [your search inquiry] will limit it to results from BAExpats.

Long story short you have 3 main ways to get legal here:

retirement, sponsored by job or marriage. For details on each consult the government website.

photo-thumb-17698.png
Posted by ARbound on 24 September 2013 - 09:17 AM in Jobs

My advise is to forget about [background=yellow]teaching[/background] unless you have expierence doing so, a TESL certification, and more than $500.00 USD in cash on you when you touch down.

The market for [background=yellow]English[/background] Teachers is saturated with people like myself who thought they could get a job [background=yellow]teaching[/background] [background=yellow]English[/background] just because they speak it. Without the certification AND expierence you'll be hard pressed to get enough hours a week, let alone a month.

I applied for every ad I saw and what many didn't say is that without the expierence or certification my CV was going in the trash.

Now, if you're a woman you might be able to get work as a nanny but that pays even worse than institutes.

I finally was offered a contract that is 9 hours a day, 5 days a week for $33.00 ARS an hour (+/-$3.60 USD). From talking with my friends who are all native Argies with work expierence here, I make the most of us, and only my best friend's boyfriend makes more because he does TV commercials and stuff.

Finally, coming from IT world I'm going to assume you like technology. Prepare to lower your expectations greatly. All 3/4 telecom companies suck (Movistar being the worst) and the service with 3G (when it works) is actually EDGE in America. It's also very expensive to buy electronics unless they're plastered in Blue and Orange Tierra del Fuego stickers, even then a 32" TV for example is 4K ARS.

Finally, there's the inflation part. If your budget is 5K ARS a month when you get here, you'll need to make 6,500 ARS 11-12 months later to have the same standard of living. INDEC (the government stats bureau/bullshit factory) may say 10%, but apartments, businesses, and everyone else knows it is 20%-30% depending on what you're talking about. My rent goes up 20% or 30% in one year from now, whatever we agreed to in the contract because inflation is just that uncontrolled.

P.S. Don't let this scare you. I'm not saying don't come, I'm just saying be realistic and realize much of what you read about Arge is grossly outdated. One of the few places on Earth where a 2013 Ford will cost more in 2014...

I found the above quotes using the advance search of this site.

In the "find words" box I entered "teaching English" and match all words and searched for posts by ARbound, displaying the results as posts[/background]

The OP says they are looking for a 2 year lease of a studio -- that probably means they have seen studios advertised for 6000, which is perfectly possible. The problem is, if OP doesn`t have someone to give them a garantia, and doesn`t have a legitimate job as an employee which provides them with 3 to 6 months of pay stubs, there is pretty much no possibility of getting a 2 year lease. Even when you have a DNI and been here over a decade, without that garantia signing a rental contract is a pain in the butt process.

Back