Moving Soon, Few Questions.

Hi, just to update: now they are offering us$6000 after taxes, blue dollar rate (us$4000 will be in cash, 2000 registered) , plus a car for my husband, rental and health insurance, 15 days paid vacations. Husband asked for 3 weeks.
I just need an idea of how much a family of 3 spend in a month with food, house fees, gas...We love to cook and eat at home a lot, so tons of meat and beers...Will us$2000 be enough?

Brazilian's economy is collapsing, 2016 will be a nightmare here.
Maybe with Macri Argentina's economy will do better...let's see.
Sorry, how bad is Brazil now ? You think it's going to get worse in 2016 ?
Is this a good time to visit Brazil ? Like Argentina 2003 ? Thanks

Hi, thanks again.
First, my husband was thinking in rent a place in Mercedes, and another one for us in BA center, but 2 houses can be a lot in our budget, so, not a good idea.
Pilar is in between, and cheaper then BA.
My son is almost 15 years, but even here in Brazil he doesn't like to go out. Still playing computer games.
Of course, in the weekends we will go to shopping malls, movies, restaurants sometimes, and if we feel that life out there is really too boring, we can move later.
We have a dog, a golden retriever, and with her will be difficult to find a place in the city that allows pets, right?
We will sell our car here, or try to take it to Argentina, and with company giving us another one, we will have 2 cars there.
I was looking for rentals in Pilar, and with us$1000 today I can get a good house, not sure one year from now.
Even with us getting 6000us$ after taxes, and us$4000 in cash by hand, do you think is clever to ask them to increase the salary according to inflation? Is how things work there?
We don't want the money in Brazil, because taxes there are an absurd, so maybe going to Uruguay and open a bank account there...

Garryl, what can I tell you? After years without inflation, or very little, now prices are raising daily. Jobs are being cut, companies are closing doors all the time.
If our president falls with the impeachment, the new government can do nothing. All that's happening here, most countries felt in 2009, while we were happy living with no crisis.
Now we have to pay the price for that happiness.
Dollar here is almost 4x1, so if you have dollars, is a good time to spend it in Brazil.
In 2004 it was almost the same, with the dollar 4 or 3x1, I know because we went to China that time is was a good deal. It last one year, then it dropped. We came back in 2010 with the dollar less than 2x1.
They tell us that it shall be worst first, at least for another year, then it will start to be better again. I really don't want to be here to see it...
But we like to move around, even if it was ok to live here.

Come visit Brazil, food is fantastic as are culture, music, beaches...

Hi, just to update: now they are offering us$6000 after taxes, blue dollar rate (us$4000 will be in cash, 2000 registered) , plus a car for my husband, rental and health insurance, 15 days paid vacations. Husband asked for 3 weeks.
I just need an idea of how much a family of 3 spend in a month with food, house fees, gas...We love to cook and eat at home a lot, so tons of meat and beers...Will us$2000 be enough?

1) Your husband is not going to want to be doing a commute from Pilar to Mercedes. It's a looooong drive. And depending where, roads can be seriously dicey. There aren't a lot of options. You could look at Lujan which is decent(isn) sized. Or you have San Antonio de Giles although that's really country-ish. Alternatively, you might want to look at one of the country clubs along acceso oeste.

2) With the kind of commute, you're going to be spending 1000+ a week in gas easily. For my Bora (mid-sized car), it's 650+ to fill up the tank and if he's commuting 100+ kilometers each day, he's going to have to fill his up more than once a week. Buying a car (the second) is going to be something you need to budget for as well. Figure 150,000+ pesos for something new and relatively low-range. Insurance, patentes, etc = also expensive. Tolls are also very expensive here.

3) That being said, 6000 USD you certainly can live very well on a month. Although you ask about 2000 - are you planning on saving the other 4? 2K a month or 30,000 pesos for a family of 3 and you'll be paying gas, house, insurance, food? It would be a stretch in my opinion. Thinking out loud figure 10,000 in costs for the cars - gas for your husband plus gas/tolls/insurance, etc for your car. Furnished 3 bedroom houses in the areas above seem to run around 20,000 pesos a month. That's your 2000 USD right there. No food or travel or going out, etc.

Between lujan and Mercedes is fast now, but in lujan you can loose a lot of time. If I'm the working one, I would rent something near Mercedes ;) also it's much cheaper. Don't know pilar, but seems the best option they have, to be in between. Tigre is way too far, caba also.

You will need 2 cars for sure.

Lujan to Mercedes on Ruta 5 .. there is fast and FAST if you end up behind a Cattle Truck 80 km /hour may take 30 minutes.
Didn't want to mention that Ruta 5 IS one of the Most dangerous in the Country, for casualties...!

Look at Country Clubs Resorts Lujan and Acceso Oeste

http://www.cercanooeste.com/rubro/Countries-y-Barrios-Privados/zona-oeste/369/0/1

Hi Garryl, I did answer, but it didn't show up... If until tomorrow isn't here, I will post again.
City Girl, thanks for your feedback. My husband knows thats more than one hour from Pilar to Mercedes, we also thought about living in Mercedes, but then we'll need to send our son
by bus, everyday, to an international or bilingual school in BA. I don't know which is worst.
We will have 2 cars for sure. One the company will provide, another one for me to use. We already have the budget for this one.
I wish we could save all the 4k, but I know it's impossible. This will be for the first year, when my husband is there alone. Company will provide him the rental. So, i think he can manage to live with the remaining of the 2k after taxes.
But when we all be there, if we can save 1k it will be great. Here, we can't save anything!
We will bring our furniture with us, don't want to rent another place here just to keep it in boxes, so we will rent an unfurnished house. Hope is less than 2k.

Rich one, Lujan has problem with flooding, right?

Thanks!

First, I think you should be able to spare much more than 1000usd, if you are a bit careful with the money. If this 2000usd is tight to Blue, you shouldn't worry too much about inflation. That doesn't mean it won't affect you, but if you won't be able to live with 4000usd,we all others on pesos can just lay down and die ;)

All expenses for cars shouldn't be higher than 10000p (since one is from the company), health insurance will be covered, food is not that expensive, more than 6000 for 3 is a lot. Rent and costs will be the highest, but shouldn't be more than 1500usd..

From Mercedes to 3km before lujan there is highway and bottle neck is lujan, but doesn't take that much time, it's less than 5km of city, without traffic lights and almost never stopping. Also he will drive contra traffic in my opinion. Pilar-lujan is enigma to me, but couldn't be too bad, since it's straight unpopulated road. Anyone knows when they will finish highway connection to oeste? It's half done for years, just few km, and I see they are working on other parts of r5. Probably another 20 years, but you one never knows here..

If you will be closer to Mercedes, I don't think you have any normal school around. Someone will have to do the driving and probably better that both.

If your husband is coming before, he will be able to check first hand, what will be the best for you, but it will be close to what you already plan now.

I think you'll be perfect. Go for it.

Edit:rant about furniture..

Hi, im a local, i have lived in both Pilar and Lujan, the new road conecting the two cities the 34 is quite fast, ill do at 80km/h in 30' to Lujan, both towns are quite nice to live in, Lujan having more charm but least shopping sites and cinemas. In Pilar you can check out Golfers country club, that closer to the 34 route, and you will avoid travelling throw the town.
I might say that teenagers hung out more on the steets in Lujan than in Pilar...
Good Luck

Back