moving soon! Question about mobile phones

jamila

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I will be moving in September and I have a question about mobile phone service.

I know I should bring over my phone and that I can buy a sim card,

but does anyone know what the going rate is for a plan? I am used to having unlimited everything & a data plan here in the states. ( and paying accordingly) Should I expect to pay around the same in Buenos Aires? Which company is best?

Thanks in advance! I am sure I will have lots more questions as the move gets closer

How will you be living here? Will you be a permanant resident and have a DNI? If so, the plans are all pretty similar. Around A$R125 or so a half-decent plan. But it all depends on how many minutes-data you want. The big companies are Claro and Personal and you can check out their web sites.

If you won´t have a DNI, you will likely not be able to set up an account and get a plan. You will be stuck with a pay-as-you-go account. This can be quite expensive.

I can´t imagine there is ´best´ company. All large firms here have terrible customer service. And both Claro and one other large firm have been struck by system failures in recent weeks, although that is very rare.

You should know the cell-phone system here is GSM as it is everywhere in the world (except Canada and the US where there are operators using technologies not compatible with GSM). You should make sure if you are in the US.

And as with all things in Argentina, good luck!

Thanks for the fast reply... I will not be a permanent resident. Although I am looking into the possibilities of long term visas. I think i should assume I won't have a DNI at this point.

i will double check that my phone works with GSM

There are a lot of things that are near impossible to accomplish here without a DNI. There are a couple of long-term visa options I know of, the best (if you qualify) is the rentista visa, which will give you a DNI. But it requires a regular income (I think it is now 5000 pesos/month. But it must be a gauranteed income (i.e. pension or annuity).

Agaian, good luck. Scan the board here, there is a lot of info here from previous posts and some of it is very good.

wreReynolds said:
There are a lot of things that are near impossible to accomplish here without a DNI. There are a couple of long-term visa options I know of, the best (if you qualify) is the rentista visa, which will give you a DNI. But it requires a regular income (I think it is now 5000 pesos/month. But it must be a gauranteed income (i.e. pension or annuity).

I think I might qualify for the rentista visa ( I have an online direct sales business) but I thought i saw somewhere that it was 8000 pesos/month. And i am unsure if sales counts as guaranteed income.. I am still doing research on that

The income has to be something gauranteed, sales income won´t cut it. It has to be something like a pension or an annuity, or something that is otherwise assured and you will need an accountant to verify the income and regularity of it. If you can swing that, it´s a fairly simple process.

Just answered on another thread about telephones. I've had 4 or 5 phones of different models and quality from the US over the last 6 years here in Buenos Aires with no problems ever. Unless you have a really old phone that only works off of some US/Canadian providers' network specifically, you should have no problem with your phone. I believe most phones in the US nowadays are compatible as well with other network types like GSM, although I know it didn't use to be the case, but that was more like 10+ years ago.

As far as getting a rentista visa with business income alone, you won't be able to do it, as wreReynolds mentioned. And I have heard as you stated that the new requirement is on the order of 8000 pesos a month.

However, I know someone who is going throught he process of getting a rentista visa in a somewhat gray manner. He set up a corporation in Panama, set himself up as president, and shows via an accountant in Panama that dividends from the company pay him enough to qualify. He deposited enough money in the bank attached to his corporation to have the corporation send him transfers as dividends to an account here to prove his income.

It's not an easy process, and he's still seeking approval, but nothing has been rejected so far. I'm not suggesting you do this, but it may actually be the only chance you'd have to get residency, unless you marry a resident or citizen, or find employment with someone who is willing to sponsor you.

If you're not planning to stay here for a good while, I'd just stay in the country without a visa (as a local immigrations attorney in another thread advises, you wouldn't be illegal, just irregular - but realize that leaving and re-entering the country with such status could produce some small risk [as of now] that you may be denied re-entry, but it's a low risk at the moment) and deal with the expensive pay-as-you-go telephone and expensive grocery store purchases without a debit card from a local account to give you discounts, and have a hit-or-miss success with things like buying movie tickets over the internet with your international debit/credit card.

Also, be aware that for the long term, you will not be able to rent property with long term contracts without a property deed to guarantee your lease. You will be stuck with short term leases which are illegal for more than a 6 month term, although you may be able to find an owner who is willing to give you back-to-back 6 month leases. Rental laws here favor the renter much more than the owner and owners are terrified of someone moving into their property and staying there without paying, as it could take two or more years via the courts to get them out. Temporary leases at the moment are safer for the owners because they don't ahve quite the same effect as long term leases.

Make sure you know what you're getting into, moving here, for anything more than a relatively short term like a year or less.

thanks for all the great info.. Right now the plan is for a year to evaluate.. I don't need to worry about renting, as I will be hosting a tango house (my rent is part of the deal). So i guess I will worry about any sort of complicated work around when the time comes.

That is frustrating about the phone as I use mine for almost everything here.. it will be quite an adjustment.

When I first came here I (obviously) didn't have a DNI. I brought an unlocked phone with me and got a sim card at Movistar for a prepay account. Definitely more expensive than a plan but it maybe your only option. I think the last I saw was .75 pesos per text! Anyway, they often run specials like 2X1 or 3X1 where you can get double or triple your money in phone credit. I would not plan on using your internet connection with that, though. You'll burn through your credit in no time.

If you are carefull you can get by with about $200 pesos per month on a prepay card.

If you phone is able does accessing wifi from your phone allow you to use the internet without additional charges?

Back