Moving To Argentina-Aduana Question

lucianousa

Registered
Hello,
I' am an Argentine living in the USA but moving back to Argentina next April. I'll be moving with my wife who is from the USA (Utah). I moved to the USA in 2002!

We have been searching for shipping and moving companies and are already getting quotes from a few of them. We plan to take aprox. 100 cubic feet (~3 cubic meters) of personal stuff (bikes, flat screen tv, outdoor gear, some kitchen stuff, frames, shoes), but no furniture.

Today we received a quote from a company and together with the quote a bunch of other info. In that info there was a paragraph stating this:

"Due to recent drug’s finding that have taken place in Buenos Aires port involving household goods moves, Argentine Customs has informed to all operating moving companies that intensive inspections and scanning with X rays will be performed to all shipments therefore customs clearance time will be extended to approx. two weeks and that will bring along the inevitable following associated charges:
LCL’s up to 10 cbm: Minimum of USD 1,200.00
FCL 20’ containers: Minimum of USD 2,000.00
FCL 40’ container: Minimum of USD 2,500.00
"

I never heard of these fees, and no other company has mentioned this. Has any of you had to pay for these fees?

Thanks!!!

Luciano

one-does-not-simply-move-back-to-argentina.jpg

Due to recent drug’s finding that have taken place in Buenos Aires port involving household goods moves, Argentine Customs has informed to all operating moving companies that intensive inspections and scanning with X rays will be performed to all shipments therefore customs clearance time will be extended to approx. two weeks and that will bring along the inevitable following associated charges:

I entered this quote in a google search and three international "moving companies" used it (one varied slightly).

http://www.google.co...iw=1366&bih=622

There is a possibility this is one company with operations in three countires (web addressess end in .com, .uk, and .fr).

That's an extra USD 300/400 for you. In Argentina expect the unexepected ... including THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

The fees are quoted in dollars:

LCL’s up to 10 cbm: Minimum of USD 1,200.00
FCL 20’ containers: Minimum of USD 2,000.00
FCL 40’ container: Minimum of USD 2,500.00

Customs has the right to x ray containers. How they decide which one's to x ray is totally arbitrary. They have been doing this for years in the states. I have paid no more than US$500 to have US customs x ray a container. Here they can charge what they want. If you calculations are correct in the space you will use , and depending on what size container your goods are consolidated in , you would have to pay a prorata share based on the cubic meters you use in the container. Check with the shipper first and verify your potential share. This is all fairly standard . They must declare to you the posabilty there may be extra charges.

Are you aware that you must go to the nearest Argentine consulate and provide a packing list with what you are shipping for their approval ?

Thanks for the comments and replies.
I know that shipments might be x-rayed and checked. I guessed I got confused because this company directly informed me of the potential fees and other omitted (?) them or included (?) them in their quotes.

@cbonanni. I am communicating with the Argentine consulate in LA and I know I have to get a "Certificado de Residencia" within 1 month of traveling. They provided me with a list of things to do, but never told me that the consulate has to approve my stuff. Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks all (even to the post with the pic),
Luciano

BTY we are moving to Necochea, not to capital.

I am not 100% sure it is for "approval" , or just a declaration for customs here to be informed of what you are bringing in. In using a consolidator , be aware that other items placed in the container that may be flagged , could impede your items being cleared. Be sure the customs house broker here has excellent connections with customs.

Thanks again cbonanni! I'm trying to find a custom house broker (despachante de aduana?) through some friends in Argentina. Interesting point you make about the possibility of having problems because the shipping company put other items in the same container.

All the containers have to be checked, but there are not enough agents to do so. I am told that there are huge delays in the releasing of the containers. They are all checked intensively, as due to import restrictions people seem to put more into the containers then allowed. All this extra has to be paid by the transport/moving company.
It does not surprise me that now they add it to the fee to the client...

I can give you details on my experience shipping from Ireland, roughly the same circumstances as you. We got documentation from the Arg embassy in Ireland to say my wife was a returning citizen, the exempts you from certain import charges, which may or may not include the above. Recommend you talk your embassy in the US. We provided an itemised list to the shipping co here in Ireland who shipped, with delays, to BA. We paid for door to door delivery and the local company in Ireland covered the fiscal deposito charge (After much wrangling).

If you want to know anything send me a PM. We moved back / arrived in Oct this year.

Good luck !

Back