Moving To Argentina And Attending School

Assuming that you are permitted by your student visa status, you also should know that you can work for a tech company while you study / work on your degree. In fact, most of your classmates will be doing that.

I work for a large tech company based in BA and was surprised to find out that the vast majority of software engineers at the company (and it seems standard here) have not finished their degrees. As soon as they start their CS degrees, they get fulltime offers and therefore do their degrees while working. I don't advise that from a student experience perspective, but it is a very compelling argument that if by the time you graduate, you already have several years of real world experience. Plus, all your classmates are doing the same thing.

The work/study is a challenge you will be evaluating constantly -- a large % of folks just dropout since they are already quite advanced in their careers. In fact, it's becoming such a long-term issue, I was told that the Argie government is planning on giving 25,000 pesos as a reward for completing the degree.

Anyhow, feel free to PM me and I can also put you in touch with software engineers I know here who can give you some more perspective

Assuming that you are permitted by your student visa status, you also should know that you can work for a tech company while you study / work on your degree. In fact, most of your classmates will be doing that.

I work for a large tech company based in BA and was surprised to find out that the vast majority of software engineers at the company (and it seems standard here) have not finished their degrees. As soon as they start their CS degrees, they get fulltime offers and therefore do their degrees while working. I don't advise that from a student experience perspective, but it is a very compelling argument that if by the time you graduate, you already have several years of real world experience. Plus, all your classmates are doing the same thing.

The work/study is a challenge you will be evaluating constantly -- a large % of folks just dropout since they are already quite advanced in their careers. In fact, it's becoming such a long-term issue, I was told that the Argie government is planning on giving 25,000 pesos as a reward for completing the degree.

Anyhow, feel free to PM me and I can also put you in touch with software engineers I know here who can give you some more perspective
Great, work/study on the clients dollar. Pay for pros and get rookies. No wonder they can low ball the bids.

Just a word of caution for you- Argentina is a breeding ground for techies. They abound, they are self-trained and most web programmers/programmers/UX/UI designers/web designers (both front and back end)/etc do NOT go to school for it here. The schools have subpar-funding and technology-related careers are subject to that constraint, so most people with a real passion for it simply pursue it, learn and develop their careers on their own. Jobs are underpaid (as with most industries) compared to what you'd get stateside. I wouldn't be too certain about your future here as a software engineer, considering the companies that you could be interested in working for are actually either leaving the country right now or significantly trimming jobs (i.e HP, IBM, Thomson Reuters).

Hmmm. As a counter-point to the above quote, I can say that the war for software talent is still pretty hot. I can't comment on the reasons why those companies are leaving (if indeed they are) -- for all I know, it might have to do with the economic situation in Argentina being in conflict with their own corporate planning goals. However, I interact with headhunters, outsourcing firms, and local HR sourcers significantly enough to tell that there is no shortage of demand. Certainly not here in Buenos Aires at this time.

Self-serving plug here to all software engineers already in or thinking of coming to Buenos Aires = contact me, I'm hiring! ;-)

Also, from what I understand, salaries are decent for the geography (and certainly higher compared to other jobs in Argentina). Anyhow, I think one should work on projects/companies that makes one more valuable (as opposed to just be earning more when entering) -- in the end, software talent market is global, with plenty of opportunities for worldwide mobility

Great, work/study on the clients dollar. Pay for pros and get rookies. No wonder they can low ball the bids.

Burned by outsourcing firms? ;-)

This is a not-so-secret fact of the software outsourcing industry. That's why one must always interview the team you hire

I'm new at this, so please bare with me.

I want to move to Argentina. I don't know how serious I am about this yet, I need to find out some more information to be 100% sure. But so far, I haven't had second thoughts.

I just have some questions, and I've tried to find answers online but have come up empty handed. I'd love to look elsewhere but I don't know where to start.

Here is my situation. I am currently a student at a community college in the states, and am receiving financial aid to cover my education. Before Argentina got into my head, I was just going to get my A.S. and pursue a degree, and eventually a career, in Software Engineering. Now that I have Argentina on my mind 24/7, I want to go there and finish my degree, find a job there, and continue my life there permanently.

Now here are my questions:

1. The US has financial aid to help aspiring students through college. Does Argentina offer something like this? To my understanding (from the little bit of information I managed to uncover), tertiary education in Argentina is unofficially not free? Do I understand this correctly, or is it truly free like some of my research stated?

2. If I wanted to move to Argentina and attend school there, how do I transfer my credits? Would they even count toward the degree I am pursuing in Argentina?

3. Do I have to be in some kind of "study-abroad" program in order to transfer/ receive credits?

4. If you don't know the answers to these questions, or don't know enough, who can I contact to get the information I am requesting?

SAME!!

All of this has been answered on this thread and in other threads.
1) yes if public, no if private
2) no
3) yes (credits for US institution, consult your US institution, each one varies)
4) the actual schools

Back