Moving To Argentina For Love?

Moved here for love in 2005. Married. Eventually divorced. Don't underestimate the difficulty of merging different cultures, languages, leaving your home country, etc, etc, etc. It was a very, very rocky road. Trying to build a life in Argentina didn't make it any easier. It was an adventure I would not do again.

Good luck with your decision!

GS

Argentino Trucho.
I'm from the U.S. and have been here for 37 years.I did not come for love:
I came at 37 years old because I lost my job there and my main interest is Latin American studies.
YOUR AGE is one of the most important facts you must always consider in making decisions of this type.If it doesn't work out,you DO NOT want to be unemployable if you have to return to your home country. That was my case.Due to the "roller coaster" type socio-economics in Argentina,I had to return to the U.S. in 1990 at 48 after 11 years here and almost could not find work.
In 1992 with convertibility I came back to start up my business once again.I have been here ever since
At the present moment I have more faith than ever before in the Argentine economy with Macri's gov't and at 74,although I don't need to work,I am starting up the business yet again.
You might consider Corporate Training in English as a starter.There should be considerable opportunities there as investment begin
coming in.Don't close any doors to your returning to Ireland until you get close to 50 and it is too late.

I didn't come for love but did stay for love, it's been 6 years.
When we first started dating he was firm in the "I could never leave my family camp" as if to say "if you want to be with me, it's here" warning, and me with my rose colored glasses said "why would I EVER want to leave here?!"
In the end he changed, he fell in love with me and realized it wouldn't be fair at all to say I'm the only one to have to sacrifice, especially since I'm the only child and in reality he has three other siblings who could care for his parents later in life, and mine will be alone (just to name one of the many obvious factors that make it hard to be far from home). Both of you have to make compromises, our lives make more sense here now, and in the future we want to end up in the US but with lots of time spent in Argentina out of each year. Make sure you'll be ok with never living back in your home country if you really think she'll never bend on that, because you don't want to resent her down the road.

Workwise: See what remote work you can find. I juggle 4 remote/work from home jobs now, 1 full time, 3 other odd jobs, and all pay in USD, all allow flexibility for travel. Upwork.com is a good source. English teaching won't earn you a great income you want to live on long term (from what I hear, to be honest I've never done it)

Thanks again everyone for being so open about your experiences. You have all mentioned stuff that are real concerns for myself and my girlfriend right now. It's really hard since we have such a strong connection to both each other and our homes. She is seriously considering coming to Ireland with me at the end of this month and staying for a few months or up to a year even if needs be, but long term she wants to be in Argentina. So, we are worried that us moving to Ireland now is just pushing the problem further down the road , yet we dont want to separate.

Each individual life experiment is a personal unique journey into the unknown with no chance for a rehearsal.
Described in a textbook, it is NOT.
In a way I`m glad in my younger years I had the strength to see that there`s no easy way out.
It was all obsessively crystal clear to me then, that life was on hold till building a career, being secure on my own feet, no matter how tempting .

Only the very few fortunate ones, would have much easier decisions to make.

Love McKenna`s link (post #8) . Here it is again one more time:
https://www.youtube....h?v=bpwdwbO1uvM

In a way, I missed the dance !

Back