Moving To Ba - Help!

KateLeary

Registered
Hi, I'm a kiwi female who is currently looking into the possibility of moving to BA with my job. I have been to Argentina twice on holiday and love it but as a visitor I didn't really get a feel for the cost of living in BA. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me and provide a bit of info on average rent costs and cost of living. I would probably look at living somewhere that is easy to get to the city for work and then make it easy to have a social life too - so somewhere fairly central. I would be happy to share an apartment with 1 or 2 other people.

If you have any other tips for someone moving to BA they would be gratefully received!

Thanks
Kate

Hi Kate,
It's near impossible to answer your question without knowing more about your tastes, needs, and tolerances. You'll find rents (and food costs, believe it or not), all over the map, depending on where you want to live. How fancy or 'rough' the barrio?, the commute distance/time/hassle to microcentro?, proximity to parks or milongas?, size/view/noise considerations?, duration of your lease (cheaper 2-year leases require a garantia and funiture)?, your budget for rent?, your tastes/needs for restaurants, taxis, etc.etc.

Speaking of budget, it's kind of important to know what you can afford, what kind of a job/salary you expect to find. Use the Search function on this forum to read up on the 'challenges' finding decent-paying jobs, ideally those paying in Dollars or Euros rather than in Pesos. Also read up on threads in this forum and BANewcomers Yahoo Group re: housing & food costs over the last year. It really depends on you--wouldn't be good to have Recoleta tastes with a Flores budget (sorry, Floresinos).

You say you've been here, why not come for an extended visit, dip the toes in the water a little deeper, plan to explore some barrios and see for yourself, see if you still love it, not as a visitor but as a resident? Just as you couldn't really "get a feel for the cost of living" in your visits, it's really hard for any of us to get a feel for your desires & tastes. One thing many expats agree on: it's usually easier to 'make money' at home and then bring/spend it here while you get established, find work, learn the tricks, and decide if you can survive and thrive here on your savings & local salary.

Good Luck!
(and remember to convert those kiwi dollars to US $100 bills before coming, to use for exchange!)
- Jim

your job needs to let you know: will you be paid in white (will they help you get your work visa) in which case you will get bennefits such as an extra salary a year, health care, etc or in black?
I would refuse anything less than 8000 pesos a month, with 10000 you will fine (not a life a luxury, but able to go out, eat good food, maybe a vacation or two a year that is low key, live in an ok neighborhood). these are general numbers.

Make sure you negotiate to be paid minimum wage here and receive the rest of your salary in NZD or USD in an overseas account.

Thanks for the tips everyone! #JayKTusa yes I totally understand what you are saying so I think a bit more research on my behalf is a good idea.

Ok here is a very vague answer, I hope its helpful.

The cost of things in the supermarket are about the same as prices in the UK, if not more (sorry I don't know how expensive things are in NZ).
I find restaurants to be fairly cheap compared to back but not the best selection.

Food in the supermarkets is basic and if you want anything unusual like fish or spice you'll have to go to China Town, which is great for this.

Buses are super cheap, 1.7 pesos. The transport can be a bit of a nightmare here, buses are very regular but the Subte is very overcrowded and not very extensive, trains - forget about these.

The Subte isn't bad if you live and work on the same line but as you can see the lines don't really interchange much with each other. It also closes at 10:30pm

Back