moving to BA in a year...

I didn't see any hate - I was merely curious if the OP had ever been here before deciding on BsAs.

A year is not a long time and I'm sure the OP will be fine - I mean really, it's just a year. With the assumption that he has enough money to live on, there is no reason not to come. There are lots of great things here and if you're only here for a year, you'll probably be relatively sheltered from the not-so-great things.

I have not been to BA before, I've spent time in Guatamala City, Lima, Rome, Paris, London, etc. So really want something different. I am not looking for something exceptionally comfortable and high class at all. I am a good cook so I think that should be easy enough. I also have a couple friends from BA that suggested it to me in the first place..I really want to get into another culture, and yes, live like an Argentine.
Thank you!

Thank you! I would without a doubt visit first. Just trying to get some ideas and input first. I really appreciate it. Also, it sounds like I'll be doing alot of cooking... Good to know!

I really appreciate this response. I am single and would love to do some dating... Unless it's more expensive than New York its going to be cheaper than where I am coming from. And just can't seem to believe that it's a horrible place. Yes, car fumes, yes annoying people, yes bad food, but to me that really describes most big city's. Thanks again for the response.

Again, I suggest you poke around the forum threads and read up on the various issues that we talk about around here. One thing to know is that this website is a sort of safe haven for venting about the problems and frustrations that most of us find living here. But remember, we're all here (or at least most of us are) and have been for awhile, and most of us have some sort of a love for Buenos Aires. But there is a lot to both love and hate about it here, just like many other places. It's certainly not all bad. I think you'll see that BA has its own set of unique problems, but you're likely in for a surprise with the food especially if you like variety and spice. The food here is not like "most big cities". Most big cities have bad food, sure, but plenty of fantastic (and generally affordable) food to make up for it. Here, if you go to a decent restaurant expect to have to pay a lot more for it if it's not "local flavor" (i.e. pizza, pasta--which they do really well--and parilla). You'll find that there is a major aversion to spice here. Even black pepper is rarely found on a restaurant table, while salt is ubiquitous. That said, the food (in my opinion) IS a lot better than in Santiago (I refer to restaurants because Santiago has access to both amazing seafood and produce; seafood is uncommon, lower quality and expensive here).

I, personally, have become quite a good cook since being here and am grateful to Argentina for that and many other things. At the very least you'll come, have an experience, make some friends, and have some fun memories to last a lifetime. Maybe you'll want to stay. Best of luck to you in either case.

How large are your dogs? I've heard from quite a few people that their dogs were traumatized from the move down and were never quite themselves again. If their small dogs it's a different story, but if they have to go in the cargo hold do be aware that it can be very traumatic for the dogs (and also plan your route down accordingly, paying attn to different conditions they may experience during transfers etc)

They are medium sized dogs... So I really don't know how they would have to travel yet. Though I am going to put alot of thought into this and investigate. Thanks for the input. I don't want to traumatize the dogs. Thank you for making me aware of this.

If you do a search on the forum you'll find a fair bit of info about it -- I think somewhere someone recommended which airline was best for their reputation as to travelling with pets. It's a long way down here is all, so unfortunately sometimes we have to consider whether it's best for the pet to come with us....

MizzMarr said:
It seems to me that you should just search out keywords and start reading threads. Most of the questions that you have have been discussed at length around these parts, so maybe after spending some time perusing the content of the site you'll have more specific questions? and in this expat opinion, no, there is not a lot of good food. There are the Three P's (Pizza, Pasta, Parilla--empanadas get lumped in there somewhere). Be prepared to miss the concept of "different flavors" unless you are willing to make your own.

You forgot the 4th P - panaderia.

chop said:
You forgot the 4th P - panaderia.

You're so right. I was thinking that the 3 P's leaves out the bread products, medialunas and facturas. It's officially now the 4 P's. :D

Back