Moving to BA soon and...

Pandi_Mallory

Registered
So far from a distance I've been reading many negative things, from rife corruption, poor teacher salary (I'm a professional English teacher-EAFIT University) and confusing and volitile inflation problems. But I've been traveling a long time and if there's anything I've learned is that you need to go to a place to know a place. What you read online can be... Misleading and grossly exaggerated.

I'm fluent in Spanish, as I've been living here in Colombia for several years and before that Spain. I'm moving from here because my amazing boyfriend really wants to go. He's a tattoo artist and already has the connections and money lined up to live in BA like a king. Therefore I'm doing my research and trying to line up my new life in BA for 2019 here from Medellín, Colombia. It's been difficult and I would really appreciate some ground level advice.

I could use advice on:

1. Finding work. I read they don't pay teachers well and many schools are shams.

2. What is an excellent salary there in pesos? I live well here in Medellín, I'd like to keep my standard of living the same.

3. My boyfriend wants to live in Federal Capital, close to his shop, what's your take on that?

4. How the hell do you navigate the inflation issue? I will have access to dollars in my American bank account (I work online too).

5. The visa. My boyfriend is Colombian and his papers are in order already. Should I just arrive there and look for a proper job that comes with a visa within 6 months time? Is that unrealistic?

Thanks from Colombia and que estés super bien. Appreciate your time.

-Pandi

Check here for some housing choices..... Apt search,again keep in mind rentals listed are for a 2yr lease with a garantia

Last edited:
Okay. Sounds a bit like Colombia. Better to know someone. I'll check out the link. Thank you so much!

... What you read online can be... Misleading and grossly exaggerated.

sorry but mostly what you read on his site is a good indicator of how ducked up the economy is here and thus how challenging it is to deal with it and associated issues. Its steadily getting worse. That's not to say one can't make a life here or be happy. Life still goes on during recession, war... You've got several things in your favour but you 'll certainly be in for a very challenging ride initially.

sorry but mostly what you read on his site is a good indicator of how ducked up the economy is here and thus how challenging it is to deal with it and associated issues. Its steadily getting worse. That's not to say one can't make a life here or be happy. Life still goes on during recession, war... You've got several things in your favour but you 'll certainly be in for a very challenging ride initially.

Thank you for your honest input. Very much appreciated. Hopefully I can get some things lined up in advantage to soften the blow.

you definitely want to live somewhere central. Its fun, its not dangerous, and its a great city.
you will be very lucky if you can find a job that will get you a visa. it happens, but its rare, and usually for pretty unusual and high paying jobs- oil field geologist, high level exec at a multinational.
I would just come in on a tourist visa, and start looking for work.
Inflation happens all over the world. You deal with it by worrying, cutting expenditures, and not buying expensive imported stuff.
in buenos aires, live local, eat local, ride the collectivo, go see free music, have fun.

Back