Moving to BA

Forgot - in general, temporary leases are furnished, long term are not. You may be able to find a long term apartment furnished, or to varying degrees, but they are very few and far between.

That means buying furniture, kitchen stuff, most of the appliances. Usually the ovens are there, sometimes refrigerators, sometimes microwaves, depending on the owner. It used to be (don't know if it still is) that sometimes you would have to put in light fixtures and such as occupants would take those with them from place to place.

Things are expensive here. Particularly appliances and furniture.

squirrel said:
We're looking to rent a two bedroom for about $4,500 pesos per month and thanks to all that have responded!

One other thing - I doubt very much you'll get a two-bedroom apartment in Retiro, Recoleta or Palermo. I suppose you might, but it will be small if you do. Maybe better chance in Palermo.

El Queso makes a good point. There are basically 2 tiers to the rental property market:
1) Long term rentals (usually min 2 years) of unfurnished apartments. These are directed at locals, as in general a garantia is required (ie you need to own property or have someone that is willing to put up that property as a security. Usually the property has to be in Buenos Aires). Usually ask for a bond and 2 months rent worth of commisions (to property agent).
2) Shorter term rentals, usually furnished apartments and no garantia (rather only a deposit). Usually more suited to expats / tourists that dont have a garantia and / or planning on staying less than 2 years. Apartments are more expensive and they have the added bonus that many landlords want dollars (thus if you want to pay in pesos need to negotiate a rate with the landlord).

As El Queso said, I think for a 2 bedroom, shorter term rental (ie 2 above) you may struggle to find something for 4,500 pesos in those areas, even in Palermo.

Perhaps have a look at the web sites and see how you go. Villa Crespo, Caballito also pretty good options in my opinion as other barrios.

Good luck.

Back