Movistar 4G

agape4argentina

Registered
Hello all,
I have two 4g compatible phones, unlocked, and installed with local 4g movistar Sims. Problem is I can't tell if their running 4G or not. I do get a little "H+" sign sometimes it otherwise there's no indicators. Can someone help?

H+ stands for HSPA+, which is an enhanced form of 3G. Your phone will display the LTE icon when connected to a 4G network. My understanding is that Movistar Argentina uses the1710MHz-1720MHz and 2110MHz-2120MHz frequencies ranges for 4G. You must make sure that your 4G devices can operate in those frequencies, which is not always the case, specially if they are acquired overseas.

My phone supports band 17, so it should work, correct? Please advise. I have been reading and think that perhaps I need to have a plan that supports 4G. I´m checking with Movistar to make sure.

I recently got a Movistar 4G chip for my unlocked iphone 5S. The first step was to get the chip at one of their stores (I went to the location on Santa Fe next to El Ateneo). They put it in and within an hour it was working. They didn't mention this to me, but you have to change the settings on the iphone to allow LTE service. It seems to be getting better, but the 4G coverage isn't very extensive at this point.

Mine is ¨working¨ and the settings are correct on the phone, but I cannot tell if it is truly functioning in 4G. I went to the Movistar website and it says you have to have a plan that works with 4G--I think mine does, but will check on that. I guess I was just expecting the phone to say ¨4G¨ or ¨LTE¨ or something...

My phone supports band 17, so it should work, correct? Please advise. I have been reading and think that perhaps I need to have a plan that supports 4G. I´m checking with Movistar to make sure.

Movistar Argentina is in band 4 for LTE. So I think that is the problem.

Then you are probably in an area where 4G is not yet available. You should definitely see an "LTE" icon on your phone once you are connected via 4G. If all you see is the "H+" icon, then you are connecting via HSPA+, which is just a glorified/enhanced version of 3G.

Run a speed test and see what speed you achieve. For reference, I have claro 3G and get around 3 Mbs down and 1.5 Mbs up.
Not sure if 4G has a minimum, but look for around 10 Mbs down.

Back