Museums

msachen

Registered
Hello expats. We’re here for another ten days and have some holes in our schedule. Not really that cultured from a museum standpoint, but we’re curious if there’s a consensus on which museums are must see. Thanks!

depends. there are over 100.
For modern art, Mamba and Malba, and Bellas Artes.
I always take people to the Museo Xul Solar, which is a small beautiful museum dedicated to one artist.
I like the train museum behind Retiro Station, but I am a metal guy.
The Museo del Bicentenario, behind the Casa Rosada, is interesting and not overwhelming.
there are museums of humor, cars, cameras, clothes, printmaking, natural sciences, and opera sets and costumes.

Museo de Arte Decorativo is a beautiful palace, usually interesting shows, and a very nice little cafe in the gardens.

The Fine Arts Museum (Museo de Bellas Artes) is the most prominent, not so much for modern art as for classics. MALBA is dedicated to modern Latin American art. I'd rank it the second most important museum. Also noteworthy is the Fortabat Collection in Puerto Madero. I'd focus on these unless you have a lot of time.

I disagree that the Fortabat is one of the better art museums in the City, but that's just me. MALBA and Museo de Bellas Artes are the top two, then either the Museo de Arte Moderno in San Telmo if you like modern art, or the Museo de Arte Hispanoamericano Isaac Fernández Blanco if you want to see more colonial era art and history. Museo Xul Solar is also a winner, his art is really interesting and he was quite the character. If you're up in Tigre, it's worth stopping by the Museo de Arte Tigre -- not very big, mostly local artists, and a cool museum building with a nice view of the water.

The Palacio de las Aguas Corrientes is an impressive building and a quick museum to go through (and it's free!). The history of sanitation might not be everyone's thing, but it's worth at least going past the outside to see the building. It's a pretty impressive structure, especially for something that used to basically just house water pipes! If I'm not mistaken, the building that now holds the Museo de Bellas Artes was also a water building in an earlier chapter of its existence.

Back