Music in BA...

lostnation

Registered
I'm planning to come to BA in January, and having always had a romantic dream of wanting to busk on the streets w/ my guitar, am hoping I'll muster up the courage to do it here. Anyway, I wanted to get a feel for the music scene in terms of blues/"folk" and maybe Jazz. I mean, I know Tango, electronic, etc are big here but is there much of an audience or appreciation for some of the "American" styles I mentioned? Maybe a silly question, but I thought I'd see if any current expats can shed some light on the music landscape in BA. Thanks!

hola Lostnation.
no worries here you will have plenty of oportunities, jazz festival is going on right now, but in general you have a lot of jazz concerts, blues as well, don't know about folk...and you will have the audience for sure..if you are good enough ;)

RandallBass said:
hey man, im a photographer and i shoot musicians. i also prefer shooting street scapes most. if you want some photos when you're in town let me know. i arrive in BA at the end of december and i would love to see what you're doing.

let me know. [email protected]
temp portfolio: www.myspace.com/randallbassphotography

Are you from Texas?
I know they like huntin down there but isn't this a bit extreem?:)

Thanks for the link Richard, it's good to know there is some bluegrass in BA! I lived in Asheville, NC, for a while where it all started. Well, I'm sure there will be plenty of ears if only I can get myself out there...I'm thinking just picking at one of the squares will be a good way to start.

I'm a music lover from L.A. -- all kinds of music, except maybe for hard rock.

So I just want to warn you of the different atmosphere here in BsAs in music clubs than perhaps you're used to.

It was a shock to me to see that at a jazz club where a fantastic group was playing, the audience considered the music as background. They didn't tap their feet or nod their heads like is common in the States and Europe. They continued to talk with their friends and didn't applaud after each musician's solo, as is customary in the States.

I'm not saying they didn't enjoy the music, but to my standards, they were rude.

Forewarned is forearmed, as they say. Just so you don't feel bad.

Back