My Argentinian wife really dislikes the US. Typical of Argentinians?

I guess it depends on the situation/health situation. I’m sure that for a heart attack or something needing more immediate specialized care, private would be better.
For some things like chronic illness, some cancers, and HIV/infectious diseases, I know for a fact from having some medical doctor friends that the public system is more on the cusp of medical advances and resources, as a matter of fact for some of these aforementioned things, I guess as a question of ethics, the private companies actually refer patients to the public system.

I am aware that the state pays for HIV medication but I am not sure what other chronic illnesses or cancer are better treated in a public hospital. It is my understanding that the leading cancer hospital in the nation is the Instituto Alexander Fleming: http://alexanderfleming.org/es/
I should think that being treated in a public hospital would mean endless waits and a great deal of discomfort by comparison.

I like the wide range of discussion on this issue. First to say, anti-American sentiments around the world tell us as much about the resenters as about the Americans, who embody a very wide variety of cultural values from the white-power road bikers who backed Donald Trump to the radicals who want no control of any kind on immigration but want control on guns etc. Americans are as varied as Argentinians: there are the Macristas who would have openly or tacitly accepted military dictatorship in the past if it meant social stability, to the radical populists who are to the left of Peronistas. Secondly, I do agree with Solzhenitsyn who was shocked to find that in the land of the free he could see an endless pursuit of consumption but a spiritual desert in a country that vehemently asserted a conservative Christianity, even literal readings of Creation as told by Genesis. Whenever I go to the US I find this endless concern with consuming whatever is new and what-must-we-have is expressed in a media that purports to embody freedom of speech but in fact is control by a small number of wealthy conglomerates. That is why the battles over the internet, Google, Facebook, Wikipedia, has been so important - control of communications is key to keeping the country on-message. In Argentina Clarin and the rest seem to give Macri a remarkably easy ride given the problems the country now faces. So the similarities are as evident as the differences. Ok so like Europe, Argentinians are cultural snobs and have a rich literary, dramatic and visual culture not to mention tango. Argentina's soul as well as its heart is worn on the sleeve of the national tangueros and the national futbol heroes. Its all emotional. That is why we love it and why we find it so bewildering when the practical side of things (water supply in hot weather drips away while tourists visit the fabulous palacio de agua), doesn't match up. But the differences are what we want - as Vincent says in Pulp Fiction "The little differences are important."

I seriously doubt that. I imagine Trump sees Macri as just another Mexican.

This is about the most ignorant comment I have seen on this forum. Macri doesn't even closely resemble a Mexican. He is of European heritage. Furthermore you are insinuating that Trump sees all Latin people as Mexicans, and that's just not true. Macri's family has had ties to The Trump family for a long time, and Macri is considered a friend to Trump.

This is about the most ignorant comment I have seen on this forum. Macri doesn't even closely resemble a Mexican. He is of European heritage. Furthermore you are insinuating that Trump sees all Latin people as Mexicans, and that's just not true. Macri's family has had ties to The Trump family for a long time, and Macri is considered a friend to Trump.

No "furthermore" involved. But thanks for the irony.

Really?You think life is better in the usa,than in switzerland,luxembourg or france where you get over 2 months pay vacaton?you have to be mad
is paid vacation the only criteria for happiness?

you clearly have some anti-US bias. out of curiosity have you lived in the US?

is paid vacation the only criteria for happiness?

you clearly have some anti-US bias. out of curiosity have you lived in the US?
Of course not,also universal healthcare,cheap or free universities,lower working hours,better looking cities,less crime and murders.Never lived in the usa,visited about 14 times.Have you ever been to europe or lived there?Imfafr from being anti us,im anti people talking about what they dont know

wine guy drinks too much Ripple

Back