My first step

Let's face it. Most English speaking foreigners who come to Argentina to teach English aren't "really" English teachers, even if they are TEFL certified. They are just (sincere) expats trying to support themselves while they are here.

I learned basic Spanish listening to cassette tapes in my car in Chicago as went "picking" in the thrift shops for inventory in my resale store (on a daily basis for five years prior to moving SOTB).

Even after four years in CF, where all my friends spoke English, my conversational Spanish had not improved significantly.

After almost 18 months in the Province Bs. As. (where almost no one else speaks English), it has.

That's an example of "total" immersion!

I no longer feel like a stranger in a strange land (thanks R. Heinlein).

I am elated when I think about how well I can communicate with the locals...

And even more grateful with how warmly they have accepted me.

Nice to hear that Steve.

BTW.
Out of curiosity, in a group when they see you approaching by first time...How they react?

Ahí viene el gringo.

or

Ahí viene el yanqui.

or just

Hola! como estas Esteban?

Aquí está un saludo típico:

Hola Esteban (o hola vecino)!

¿Cómo va? ¿Todo en orden?

Ocasionalmente seguido por:

¿Necesitas algo? ¿Cómo puedo ayudarte?

Me tratan casi como si hubiera vivido allí toda mi vida.

Saben que escogí vivir allí. Eso obviamente los complace.

That is what I was suspecting, so no gringo or yanqui, just.. How are you Steve?

Yes, people in the provinces are more respectful and polite than in BA, that's for sure.

Thanks Steve.

I had "high hopes" when I moved to Provincia Bs. As. 18 months ago. (after four years in CF).

I realize now that my expectataions were actually lower than reality would prove to be true.

I hope this doesn't offend those in CF who have not found the life there to meet their expectations.

I realize some of them might want to say the following to me (to quote a line from "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand):

"It's indecent to be so happy."

I can't apologize.

I am living a life in Argentina that exceeds my greatest expectaions (if not my wildest dreams).

I am happy.:)

(To those who have never read anything by Ayn Rand I suggest you start with the novela "Anthem" which demonstrates the meaning of the word "I").

I am also happy to help anyone who is intersted in moving here in any way I can.

Steve you make me want to flee this big city! I am happy that you are so happy with your life there (from everything I have read, it does sound very nice) but I can't help but be a little jealous.

If for some reason my wife's visa doesn't come through, I think we'll move out into the provinces somewhere.

This is a great example of how threads can wander...

Teaching English in BA may still be possible, but it will be more difficult than ever to support a "decent" lifestyle here on those earnings, either independently or as an employee of an institute.

Back