My Half Hour Residency Trip

Smcali23

Registered
Well I thought I would share this, as I'm still in shock and it might encourage some of you who are dreading the trip (as I was).

I went to get my residencia precaria today and the whole thing literally took half an hour. From my 10am appointment to walking out of migraciones with the paperwork - half... an... hour.

For someone who (for one reason or another) has spent the equivalent of days in migraciones, this felt like a bona fide miracle.

I skipped to the front of the first queue, had my fingerprints taken and before sitting down to wait for my name to be called, my number was shining up on the big screen.

Maybe it's because it's January, I dunno, but man was I surprised.

People were helpful, efficient and fast... it felt like I'd stepped into the twilight zone.

And, best of all, if you're bored (although I didn't have time to be) there are beaming images of happy expats on the TV screens to keep you occupied, with quotes that include 'Soy ArgenChino' and 'Argentina gave us the life that Spain never could'...

It's all very heartwarming stuff.

And, best of all, if you're bored (although I didn't have time to be) there are beaming images of happy expats on the TV screens to keep you occupied, with quotes that include 'Soy ArgenChino' and 'Argentina gave us the life that Spain never could'...

It's all very heartwarming stuff.

Hmmm I thought that feeling was nausea...

Although the process is not quite finished (I don't have it yet) my citizenship process has gone very smoothly. No hours of waiting for anything like a few years ago with residency. I don't know what's happening but things seem to be getting better.

I am happy to report similar experiences with RENAPER --- in and out in ten minutes! In 2008 the same tramite took six hours (of course in those days the agents did not have computers hard as that is to imagine)!

nice! did you have a lot of warning beforehand about what docs to bring? that was my main issue that kept me coming back 3 times, it wasn't always obvious about the things I had to present.

I recommend to people doing it now, that if there is something missing, ask them to go through the rest of the application to find anything else, rather than stopping point blank at the first missing item.

nice! did you have a lot of warning beforehand about what docs to bring? that was my main issue that kept me coming back 3 times, it wasn't always obvious about the things I had to present.

I recommend to people doing it now, that if there is something missing, ask them to go through the rest of the application to find anything else, rather than stopping point blank at the first missing item.

Yep, you're absolutely right. You have to go 100% prepared. I knew which docs to bring as I have been trying to get this done for years now (rule changes/missing docs etc. had held me up on a couple of occasions). They're very quick to turn you down.

I was expecting a loooong day even with every document I needed (and a couple more for good measure). I've waited like an idiot in so many queues there in the past, so I just couldn't believe how quickly the whole process went.

One thing I had to produce that wasn't specified that other U.S. citizens might want to consider. Argentina does not like that a married woman carries her husband's last name. They want the name on the passport to be the same as the birth certificate. So I had to interrupt the process to get an apostilled copy of my marriage certificate from the U.S. to show why my last name was different from the birth certificate.

So for U.S. married women, you might anticipate that even though, as far as I know, it isn't listed anywhere.

One thing I had to produce that wasn't specified that other U.S. citizens might want to consider. Argentina does not like that a married woman carries her husband's last name. They want the name on the passport to be the same as the birth certificate. So I had to interrupt the process to get an apostilled copy of my marriage certificate from the U.S. to show why my last name was different from the birth certificate.

So for U.S. married women, you might anticipate that even though, as far as I know, it isn't listed anywhere.

That hasn't worked for getting my husband his visa (I have a work visa through my work, he should get a visa as being my spouse without problems). I had the apostilled marriage license but they didn't like it, so I had to get a court order in the US and have that apostilled. I also had to get a document from the US embassy saying that I am the same person on my birth certificate as on my passport. So far that hasn't really helped, we have been denied his visa 3 times now (and I have a great immigration attorney).

Was quick and easy for me also when I had my residency precaria and dni approved last June.. Took just ten minutes from arriving at migrations.
Anyone had any experience with renewing a rentista visa? That's what I'm worried about as unsure of the exact requirements.

Was quick and easy for me also when I had my residency precaria and dni approved last June.. Took just ten minutes from arriving at migrations.
Anyone had any experience with renewing a rentista visa? That's what I'm worried about as unsure of the exact requirements.

I renewed a rentista visa last week, and it was also surprisingly painless for me.
The new system at RENAPER for the certificado de antecendentes penales requires that you get a turn, and if possible fill out the form online http://www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar/. Then you go once with your passport or your DNI and a photocopy of same. A week later --or less if you pay more -- you can print out the certificate from any computer. If was amazingly efficient, and if you don´t want to wait at all outside, show up about 20 minutes after the time of your appointment. The appointment is good for a 30 minute window, Those who come in the latter part of the window get in immediately.

At migraciones, I was in and out in 30 minutes. The Migraciones website Click here: Dirección Nacional de Migraciones | Accesible said I needed my passport, my valid DNI, my certificado de antecendentes penales, a letter or other documentation that I was still receiving the required level of income( with certified translation), photocopies of all of them, and 600 pesos. Another website for the govt Click here: Argentina - Prórroga de Residencia Temporaria como Rentista said I also need a utility bill to document my address and something to show that the money was coming in through a bank. So just to be safe, i took along a gas bill and a bank statement, I didn't need the gas bill, but I did need the bank statement. The statement did not, in fact, show the money coming in, but it did show that I have a bank account here with money in it and that I use that money to pay some bills.

This was my second renewal, so as I left, i asked the guy if I just had to do the same thing next year to get permanent residency and he has " Yes... if they don't change the rules."

Back