my MERCOSUR friend keeps telling me i can get a DNI

jrockstar80

Registered
as a tourist. I'm American.

he's totally wrong, right? he keeps saying everyone he knows got DNIs as tourists... but they were MERCOSUR.

i've been here for two weeks and am just BORED... i need to find some sort of work or i am going to be leaving the country early...

There was a program a few years back, I know this as a friend of mine on a tourist visa applied and now she has perm residence and a dni. They stopped it though.

In the 90's many latin American countries had a very liberal policy of granting immigration to any tourist who applied for residency, irrespective of his nationality.

If i remember correctly, even the birth certificate or the police clearance report never came into play.

But then, how ignorant were we!

It was called Plan Patria Grande, and it aimed to legalize thousands of illegals from border countries. I highly doubt they were " tourists " most likely people that just come and stay, they do not bother crossing the border to live as " permatourists "

Though it was applicable for tourists as well. At least in Argentina & Chile. I remember distinctly.

jrockstar80 said:
as a tourist. I'm American.

he's totally wrong, right? he keeps saying everyone he knows got DNIs as tourists... but they were MERCOSUR.

i've been here for two weeks and am just BORED... i need to find some sort of work or i am going to be leaving the country early...

I will discuss it with my Colombian friend on our next trip to Colonia by Buquebus...maybe she doesn't need to leave the country every 3 months after all...

Celia said:
There was a program a few years back, I know this as a friend of mine on a tourist visa applied and now she has perm residence and a dni. They stopped it though.

nikad said:
It was called Plan Patria Grande, and it aimed to legalize thousands of illegals from border countries. I highly doubt they were " tourists " most likely people that just come and stay, they do not bother crossing the border to live as " permatourists "

Decreto 1169/04. I'm one happy tourist that got their DNI and Permenant residency this route :)

jrockstar80 said:
i've been here for two weeks and am just BORED...

Only two weeks and bored already? I could spend two weeks on a sofa at my parents house and not be bored. In such an amazing city, with so many things to do and see, I'm surprised to hear anyone say that.

andebobandy said:
Only two weeks and bored already? I could spend two weeks on a sofa at my parents house and not be bored. In such an amazing city, with so many things to do and see, I'm surprised to hear anyone say that.

yeah this is the general consensus... i just don't have a network of friends who are pulling me into things i guess.

Back