My move was delayed due to COVID 19 !

For tourists? Impossible to predict at this point. Bajo's 2021 prediction may be turn out to be right. I imagine we might see what Uruguay has just announced - that all travelers will need to get a certified covid test before traveling.
This is not a prediction, it is what the DNU says explicitly. It is crystal clear, the point is nobody wants to accept reality. Denial is a strong defense mechanism.

Just listened to the podcast. It paints a horrific view of the future. Shall we really have to wear masks for the rest of our lives? What about a vaccine?

Just listened to the podcast. It paints a horrific view of the future. Shall we really have to wear masks for the rest of our lives? What about a vaccine?

Listen to the broadcast, A vaccine is not coming anytime soon....and to be safe it has to be carefully and extensively tested. If not, it could have catastrophic side effects. I know someone who was paralyzed from a vaccine introduced in the US in 1976. It took him two years to recover mobility and to talk. A lot of other people suffered and some died: Swine flu scare of '76 created familiar dilemma - The Globe and Mail t
Also there could be various strains - this is apparently already manifesting - that could require new vaccines.

'

My fear is that in addition to the human toll, this could extinguish cultural institutions like the Teatro Colon. Around the world, performing artists are lout of work.

It has been clear, from very early on, from any serious reporting, that a vaccine will not be the way out of this disaster. Little in the podcast should be surprising by now. There is a tremendous amount of denial in the world about what we are facing. Particularly in those countries who think they have erradicated the virus and can now just North Korea-ize themselves for a few months until a vaccine allows them to rejoin the world without ever having suffered through the devastating effects. That is just a fantasy, and it amazes me that nobody challenges it in those countries (mine is one of them).

I do think the podcast fails to adequately address the issue of herd immunity. A brief mention only, and even then, Garrett says 80 or 90% coverage will be necessary, when there are other experts saying the figure varies from country to country, and could be as low as 50% in some. But even that is a long way off: at the current rate of spread, even in devastated countries four months in, the infection has reached less than 10%.

Personally, I believe there will be herd immunity before a vaccine (indeed one of the reasons there may never be a vaccine is precisely that it won't, ultimately, be necessary). For that reason I am slightly more optimistic than Moore and Garrett. But not much; I think herd immunity will take two to four years and I have planned the next four years of my life on that assumption. As we are already seeing in the US and Europe (and even here) the young people will get us to the 50% (or 60%, whatever the number is). For the rest of us who want to be in the group who the virus misses, we are looking at two to four years of a quite limited range of activities.

Listened to that podcast last night actually, funny to see it here!
It absolutely paints a horrific future, financially and culturally. It (mainly the expert guest, Lauri Garrett) almost gives no possibility of being wrong or too extreme in the projections. I don't know the future, but the podcast is in such stark contrast to what's happening right now, already, in some places.
Museums being warehouses no-one can go to? Louvre already opened on July 6.

Facemasks forever? Take a look at webcams from all over the world in famous spots-- barely a single person is wearing a mask in Rome (check in the day when the monuments are crowded.

UK was in the news for offering massive discounts to get the people out to restaurants -- government offering the discounts, not the restaurants themselves!

Confusing signals/behavior is all I can say.
edit: spelling

Back