Nappies in Buenos Aires

Bean19

Registered
I have read some really insightful guides from new parents and people expecting children in the near future on this site.

I would be really grateful if anyone had any general hints on the best places to buy baby products, would it be your closest large supermarket or are there more specific shops selling nappies, baby products and toys and clothes that offer some reliability?

Really grateful for any advice at all, we're incredibly excited about having a baby in Buenos Aires, but i'm struggling to find any decent baby shops other than the toy shops on Santa Fe and small sections in Jumbo and Carrefour.

Thank you for any helpful hints and tips people might have.

B

We buy huggies from our local chino on Santa Fe. You need to shop around as prices for the same brand and size can change from place to place. Pharmacity is good in an emergency.

Hi,

I try to buy nappies when they are on offer in the supermarkets. Wipes are cheapest in Coto if you aren't fussy about the brand.

e.g. on a buy one get 70% off the second (carrefour) or 15% on your total shop with debit or credit cards (only works with local cards)

The Saturday La Nacion paper is good for finding out what discounts there are at the weekend as there are usually full page adverts.

Re: baby shops

there are more little independent local ones. Some good, some not so good.

For example, on paraguay and Armenia there is a little cheap shop that I have sometimes bought a few bits and pieces at, but it isn't great quality. On the same block there is a lovely expensive wooden toy shop.

We bought our travel cot/buggy in falabella (again they have some discounts with local debit cards)

Planeta Bebe on Santa Fe and Puerrydon does a discount for cash I think

If you look on Mercado Libre you will often find that shops advertise there and you can work out the address from the listings. Often nothing special but worth a visit if you want to see what there is.

If you want a flash buggy best to buy it abroad.

There is a lovely expensive shop on Salguero two blocks down from Las Heras towards libertado. Neo Nato. Nice stuff, very pricey. I think that they give a small cash discount too.

Near there in the galeria on the corner of Scalabrini Ortiz and Las Heras there are a few little shops that sometimes have some handmade bits in. I bought some quite cheap swimming shorts there.

Beautiful wooden furniture can be found on Av. Belgrano.

Cheaper can be found on Santa Fe near the Palermo train station.

Another beautiful furniture shop on Charcas and Armenia.

Tigre mercado also worth a visit, especially for moses baskets. Nice for a trip out anyway.

Also when it comes to baby clothes I do sometimes admit to buying online from marks and spencers. they charge 15GBP delivery and I have never had any problems (orders around 50GBP mark) delivered straight to our door.

Thank you so much, it's really appreciated getting such a thorough response.

lwfh,
Do you mean shipping internationally from M&S? do you find the delivery straight forward? how long does it take on average? Thanks

There's a baby section in Jumbo. I haven't been there in the last 2 years, prices were ok before, even clothes but I guess it's risen considerably (!)
Mercadolibre is good for baby furniture (bought cheap cot, crib and chest of drawers, kid's desk) and even toys tend to be cheaper online. You have to be super careful if you want to buy something with safety norms, hand crafted stuff is usually not compliant. I ended up choosing a cheap melamine cot over a fancy wooden one, because it fitted in with EU safety guidelines.
Farmacity has some good priced diapers, quality good too (20 ch for $12)
Clothes are expensive here, I buy them in UK and US for a fraction of the price.

Nappies from the local chino, we don't bother with wipes and just use cotton wool instead - what they recommended in the hospital. Works out a lot cheaper, and just as effective.

Furniture & mattress from mercadolibre - cheap and well made providing you check the ratings on items.

Buggies and any electronics (monitors, pumps etc) from abroad.

Clothes... there's some really nice things here, but they're expensive. Understandable given that they aren't mass produced, but clothes and toys etc will likely be cheaper at home. We bought lots of basics at home, and bought some nice bits and pieces here.

And congratulations!

Back