Nationalizing Agriculture?

French jurist said:
Likely it's an old news (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/28/world/americas/28argentina.html?ref=world ) considered as recent by the "journalist".

It was about nationalizing the market, not the agriculture itself (it's not about creating kolkhozes !)

Your probably right the article I linked isn't the NYtimes but I suspect sometimes a trade paper may know more about whats going on in the industry it covers than the NYtimes. If they did nationalize the markets then I guess for the farmers the only market would be the government and the government would set the price. I doubt this would be viewed as a positive move by the farmers. I guess from the governments point of view they could pay the farmers an artificial local price little and then turn around and sell at the real world prices pocketing the difference. Eliminates all the fuss over what a fair tax rate should be. Allows Cristina to get even with the farmers for the problems they caused a 3 years ago over the tax increase on soy beans.My guess if farmers didn't go along the next step would be kolkhozes.

Your right there is nothing commie about futbol para todos, Aerolineas and AIJP. You absolutly right.

The only way to integrate el campo is to tax land and production not exports. And give the provinces there fair share

dennisr said:
Exporters in Argentina are shipping commodities through Uruguay to beat the tax man in Argentina. Cristina is not too happy with the way the merchants of stuff operate. They have about nationalized exports by default, suspended licenses.
http://www.blackseagrain.net/about-...-three-more-grain-exporters-from-key-registry

This would be another approach simply disqualify all the firms in market until only the government or some cronies of the government are left. This wouldn't be unprecedented. I met a gentlemen one time in another country who told me his friend at one time had the concession for the entire country for meat imports. Apparently the friend was a friend of the then current president. The man had no previous dealings in the meat business, the only reason for the concession was so he could charge legitimate firms that would need his permission to import, there was no value added, it was only a way for this crony to make easy money.

A while back, there was no sugar in the stores because the suppliers could get more money selling it to Paraguay, even though there were limits on amount exported. The price near tripled in a short time and in my local chino it's still 1 bag per person. I can see this happening to other goods too.

CarverFan said:
A while back, there was no sugar in the stores because the suppliers could get more money selling it to Paraguay, even though there were limits on amount exported. The price near tripled in a short time and in my local chino it's still 1 bag per person. I can see this happening to other goods too.

Don't know about the sugar situation, my guess is the government has set a low price and export controls to keep it cheap domestically. The only problem is that this discourages production, creates shortages, and ultimately much higher prices. They have done this with the beef industry with disastrous results.

Not only is this entirely possible but it has already happened once in this country. In the early 1950´s general Juan D Peron nationalized all food exports to Europe.
He created a huge monster called Junta Nacional de Granos which monopolised food and grain trade here. It is true that he got better prices for them, but the goverment kept the lion´s share of the income. This is exactly what our queen wants to do: not collective farms, but slaves that work all year around (in the rain, cold, or heat) so she will collect ALL the profits to be used in new demagogic, but vote-collecting programs.
If this happens, it is possible that a civil war may erupt; I would advise all expats to start making moves to Chile or Uruguay at the first sight of trouble.
Let´s not forget that the farmers are the only armed people in this country, and the Ejercito Argentino will not repress them to defend a goverment that has insulted, persecuted and humiliated our armed forces. Any more clear?.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 1
P Expat Life 0
Back