Need a DIY man

bellakoerfer

Registered
Hey
I have been living here over 2 years and am still looking for a decent workman who will finish the job he started. I have many things around the house that need fixing and right now have no heating so really need that looked at.
Is anyone able to recommend me a good reliable work man in Palermo area?

I got my own DIY man that I live with, but I don’t rent him out! ; )

No seriously, this does not surprise me that you can’t find a good general tecnico. A popular show, CQC, Caiga Quien Caiga, went on a search for an honest tecnico in Argentina. They unplugged one simple thing on a perfect air conditioner and set a nice, ind women in the house to act like she knew nothing. They called up tecnico after tecnico here to fix it and they all quoted her between 300-1200 pesos..except for one guy. And when they turned to congratulate him as the only honest tecnico argentino, he turned out to be uruguayo! Here is the hilarious - but no so hilarious - spot (minute 2 has Spanish subtitles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICNHAaNnkQc&feature=related

My recommendation to you is to ask the encargado (portero) of your building for some recommendations. If he does not have any, check with the office that administers your building. They hire plumbers and such all the time. At least you will have some connection, but still that guarantees little. My Argentine friend recently had a guy do a job in his kitchen in Caballito who showed up totally borracho, measured everything wrong and didn't finish the job.

If you don’t rent a building but own a home; have an expat friend who does check with their encargado.

Hello
Try to find a janitor around now janitors are gas fitters and plumbers hire him to do somenthing simple at the begining and if he is honest and reliable you can give him more work. I have a janitor nexdoor I live in Monserrat he sometimes is little bit chanta but in general he works well and doesn`t charge a fortune but he doesn`t speak English Iam a local but I think you can do the same at your neighborhood.
Reina

Doesn't DIY mean do it yourself, what you want is a handyman.

bellakoerfer said:
Hey
I have been living here over 2 years and am still looking for a decent workman who will finish the job he started. I have many things around the house that need fixing and right now have no heating so really need that looked at.
Is anyone able to recommend me a good reliable work man in Palermo area?

Hi, I might give you a hand with that. Send me a note and I'll drope you by. regards

Back