Need a Tech Geek

hankscott

Registered
Can anyone refer me to someone who speaks English and is expert at dealing with tech issues involving my laptop and my iPhone. The issues are many. A few examples: I can no longer use formulas I used in the US to do calculations on an Excel spreadsheet. My mobile phone (which has two eSim cards) says my old New York City 917 number is with a Movistar account (I pay Verizon for that number's account and I don't know Movistar). I subscribe to TeleCentro Wifi and it never works. And there is more!

Can anyone refer me to someone who speaks English and is expert at dealing with tech issues involving my laptop and my iPhone. The issues are many. A few examples: I can no longer use formulas I used in the US to do calculations on an Excel spreadsheet. My mobile phone (which has two eSim cards) says my old New York City 917 number is with a Movistar account (I pay Verizon for that number's account and I don't know Movistar). I subscribe to TeleCentro Wifi and it never works. And there is more!
verizon contracts with movistar for argentine roaming. so my verizon phone will use the movistar network, while here. It is not a movistar account- you would have to get a movistar sim for that. (unless one of your esims is movistar, and you just dont know it)
Movistar was bought by Personal a few years ago, so they are the same company.

verizon contracts with movistar for argentine roaming. so my verizon phone will use the movistar network, while here. It is not a movistar account- you would have to get a movistar sim for that. (unless one of your esims is movistar, and you just dont know it)
Movistar was bought by Personal a few years ago, so they are the same company.
Ah! Thanks for that info . One problem solved :)

What calculations are you trying to use on excel?

What calculations are you trying to use on excel?
Good question, the only thing that occurs to me is the ./, confusion. But that wouldn’t affect an existing Excel installation with an existing spreadsheet (I hope, but MS has been doing stupid stuff lately, as you’ll know if you used the Calibri font). I use a US-managed laptop and I can read locally formatted spreadsheets without any particular problem.

That would be news to me.
I remember reading it, but I could be wrong. Telecom, fibertel, and personal are all the same now, and I had read that the spanish were considering getting rid of argentine movistar. I know I am switching, movistar is very spotty coverage.

I remember reading it, but I could be wrong. Telecom, fibertel, and personal are all the same now, and I had read that the spanish were considering getting rid of argentine movistar. I know I am switching, movistar is very spotty coverage.
The history is a bit murky, but as you say, Cablevision, Fibertel, Arnet, Nextel and Telecom, including Flow and Personal are all now the same company, by way of mergers and purchases around 2017 or so.

Movistar's owner, the Spanish company Telefonica Internacional, wants to exit Latin America. I think they were badly hit by the exchange controls in Venezuela, which was one of their biggest operations, and were no longer able to extract their profits from the Movistar network there. As far as I know they bought real estate with the Bolivares, since there was no way to get the money out of the country anymore.

Given that Telefonica plans to exit LatAm (other than Brazil, where they own the Vivo network), they haven't been investing in their networks here. Movistar in Mexico is already a virtual operator, and I understand plans are advanced for the same concept here in Argentina, so another company (Claro or Personal, and I understand Personal is the favoured choice at the moment) will run the radio infrastructure, while Movistar will exist in name only, with their shops, so consumers won't notice too much. However, their services will depend on the new host network, and it's almost certain their users will not necessarily receive the best quality of service. You're right to switch.

Back