Need Advice: Gas in house has been off 3 weeks.

BAFinance

Registered
Approx 3 weeks ago, Metrogas found some sort of leak of gas in the building, so they gave a 4 apartments notification of modifications to be made-new vents, seal pipes etc. And that time they turned off the gas. We quickly got all te repairs done. For 2 weeks now, I speak with the gas company twice a day. Every morning they tell me I'm on the schedule for today....but no one ever comes! It would be really nice to actually have a stove and warm shower back! Anyone else been involved in this back and forth rodeo?

The EXACT same thing happened to us a few years ago. We were living in a sh*t hole on Tres Sargentos and a pipe burst. But on our case the building didn't have the cash to pay for the repair. So we waited and waited.... This was in winter. We were without hot water, no cooking, no heat... We talked with our landlord who kept saying, manana, manana.... Finally I gave him an ultimatum. Give us our deposit + the month's rent back or find us another apartment until this thing is fixed. He put us up in another apartment listed by a friend of his. After a week the gas still hadn't been turned back on. He paid for our week's stay, gave us our deposit back, and we worked out a deal to stay in the temporary apartment. We ended up living there for a year, we loved it so much. I don't suppose most people have such princely landlords - or a princely Argentine partner to help negotiate things and demonstrate we meant business... But maybe it could work in your case. In the meantime, if you need a shower, you're welcome to stop by our place (we're up in Belgrano now - thank God)

The landlord is a friend of mine..and he calls multiple times a day as well. I like my place and am not really interested in moving...I just can't figure out what it takes to actually get the gas company out!

I hate to have to ask this (and I'm not suggesting or condoning this behaviour in any way) but has your landlord tried bribing them? I've had this happen in our building (Don't know what the owners did, but gas was put back on on 24 December at about 4pm!) and I have 3 friends who have had the same thing happen. It may be that the gasman is looking for an incentive to come and switch the gas on.

Saga came to an end...and here is how:

Landlord (who is a good friend)....sent a LinkedIn message to the VP of Metrogas. (he got this advice from a friend of his). It worked! A tech arrived within 3 hours and tomm I'm going to take a 2 hour hot shower.

Useful info if this ever happens to anyone else.

What a terrific idea! I thought of doing the same when we once had an issue with telefonica, but couldn't find the right person on LinkedIN to send the mail to. Glad it worked. Enjoy your shower!

AngelinBA said:
I hate to have to ask this (and I'm not suggesting or condoning this behaviour in any way) but has your landlord tried bribing them? I've had this happen in our building (Don't know what the owners did, but gas was put back on on 24 December at about 4pm!) and I have 3 friends who have had the same thing happen. It may be that the gasman is looking for an incentive to come and switch the gas on.

No, no....I already tried to bribe route...didn't seem to matter.

Back