Need Bloodtests Done, Any Good Labs Here?

polostar88

Registered
Do I need a prescription from a doctor to get blood-panels done, or can a lab just do the tests I ask them for? I'd pay out of pocket, no insurance here. I need a general blood panel and a few more esoteric tests.

What is a lab that will do reliable and high-quality tests? I was thinking of just walking in to Hospital Aleman, can they do this?

From what I've been told, you need a note from your doctor. Blood can be tested for a squillion different things and the lab will need simple, clear unambiguous instructions about what you want it to be tested for. If there's a clear, open, above-board way of bypassing the first stage I might be interested because it would be useful to get some intermediate results for myself before I go and see my doctor again in the UK. But I'd been putting off doing something about it until I go back because it looks like too much hassle to deal with now.

....talking of which - from the tone of your recent posts I thought you were leaving in a few days? Wouldn't it be easier to wait until you get to Rio?

You need a doctor's orders. I would recommend Hospital Aleman you can walk in see a doctor he'll give you an order and they have a lab there. You can access lab results online so you don't have to go back to pick them up.

In my experience before living here permanently and having insurance you didn't need a doctors note if you were paying cash. Then again it may depend on what you're wanting it tested for. Mine was just for the usual tests to prove to the wife my British diet of bacon and eggs, fish and chips,meat pies, chocolate and coffee hadn't done me any harm....

Back