Need Help ASAP

First things first. Go through your contract again and see if there's anything that suggests this sudden change as accepted by you when you signed up.
Good luck!

This is low. So worry to hear that about your rental problems. Unfortunately, you are alone in your experience.

1 - DO NOT MOVE OUT. Once you are out, they can do whatever they want with your deposit.
2 - Consult a lawyer.

The owner is not allowed to enter the property without your permission. The laws in this country protect renters!!! Worst case scenario, stay another month without paying. Then they can keep your the deposit and it gives you a month to move out.

AH! What a bunch of jerks.

What is the name is of the owner? I'm currently house hunting and I want to make sure I don't give this person any of my business.

Hello
Really sorry to hear that, you could also tell the owner that you are going to publish his name everywhere to warn people not to rent to him any property and at the same time do all the other things like going to the Comisaria for Tourists or get advise about getting in contact with Afip.
Reina

Damn - I'm about to renew for the next 6 months myself - I think I would have been better off NOT reading this thread just before going to sleep - but then again - there seems to be (as usual) some good advice here - I know I will be remembering a few bits from this post - especially about NOT moving out if I am worried I won't get my deposit back - I think I am kind of lucky though - the owner is now dealing with us directly rather than the agency we went through in the beginning - and I think that I can keep the increases to a reasonable level - we started at 1100 US a month for this 3 bedroom in Belgrano/Old Palermo (at least that is where I think I am - sort of on the ''border'') and the next 6 months will be at 1200 a month - and I will try to lock the guy into 1200 a month for the next *12* months because from what I understand and have read here in the past its sort of normal to expect about a 10% increase a year but NOT more... YOUR story sounds like a real nightmare - all the best with that and I *do* hope it works out for you...

cruizes said:
i have been renting an apartment for the past 6 months at a rate of $1000. The agent advised me at the time that the contract in argentina would be valid for 6 months only and that a new contract would be issued. He also said that he would not charge another commission and that the price of the apartment would not be increased.

Today we receive a call from the agent. He received an email from the owner that the apartment as of july 1st (7days from now) would be increased to $2000 because "that is the price of apartments in argentina"

she also said that the $1000 refundable deposit was not refundable because she provided a sofa, bed, table, chairs etc etc etc.......wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

What can i do? I have 7 days to re-locate. I have a small dog, which is not the problem, because he is clean and quiet.

I always knew that the local people like to try to take advantage of foreigners but there has to be some recourse of action to help the tourist.

Thanks

call dr salomon he is a lawyer his cell number is 1565977626. He specialize on this kind of stuff. He cannot speak english his wife marisa does she is a lawyer too her number is 01130638334

good luck

UPDATE:

Since I was not willing to pay double rent from the original $1000US and my lease was to expire on June 30th the landlady told me that I had to vacate the apartment that night. No exceptions and that she was going to meet me at the apartment at 2:00pm on July 1st to return the $1000US deposit. Needless to say she did not show up nor call me. When I called her she said that she would be at the apartment at 7:00PM with her attorney....But, I was told by the portero that she arrived at 9:00AM on July 1st. and changed the keys to the unit. How convenient. She could destroy anything there and say that I did it. I received a SMS from her saying that she would not return the deposit until July 20th. She told me that the apartment was left filty (wrong) and the maid was abused (wrong). This owner required me to use her maid (previous thread) and allowed her to show up whenever she decided to show up. So to let the maid know who was the boss she once showed up unexpected so I sent her home - That is the abuse!!

Oh yeah - the owner was yelling on the phone when I was asking her for the money she started saying that she knows the Ambassador of the US Consulate. WTF. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Yesterday I went to Correo Argentino and filled out and sent a CARTA DOCUMENTO to her home address. She is suppose to have 72 hours to return the money. If not, I take this paper along with my lease to the Comiseria del Turista. Then the police will follow up.

Beware - the address is Rodriguez Pena 1051. The owners name is Liliana Graciela Miculan. I found out that she works at http://www.radiodelaciudad.gov.ar/ . A friend suggested I go to her work place and confront here. My Spanish is non existance so if someone would like to join me for a little harassment please let me know.

Also what makes me mad is that the agent www.homesba won't lift a finger to help me.He got his commission of $1000US so he wants nothing to do with me any longer.

She is a very sick person and probably has screwed other tourists in the past. Would love to hear from someone who knows her.

Will keep everyone posted in the days to come. In the meantime, found a beautiful apartment in Palermo Soho with a landlord who lives in Uruguay. How convenient is that??? LOL

Contracts are like a check, you can cash it. And being a realstate in between, it is easier to cash it. But they expect you don´t do nothing.
You should sue your landlord for the deposit. The trial is simple because there are only 2 defenses allowed: fake signature or payment.
So, it might take some time but this is better for you because your landlord will have to pay for it, I can´t remember it is like 36% por year. Send me a pm if you feel like, I am a local attorney. Regards

Hi Cruizes

I helped a couple out with a similar problem a few months ago. While BC is correct that legally you have a good case (which might well be solved by a strong letter from him) the threat of pursuing much of the already mentioned advice as well as an internet campaign against their rental property is normally effective and faster. I would also warn the agency that you will be posting under every ad they put on the internet to advise people how useless they are. They will then threaten you (impotently) with legal action, but realize it is better to settle.

If you need a hand PM me.

I have been renting here for 13 years and never had a problem. You are just unlucky, but it should be easy to sort out. I try not to get involved in this kind of thing normally, but the fact is that most people here are charming and honest and it annoys me that a few "chantas" give everyone else a bad image.

Quite happy to spend a couple of hours on the phone talking to these wankers!

Might also be good to meet up with BC. I'm sure the kind of defamation I am prepared to indulge in is probably prohibited, though the threat of it "incentivizes" rapid repayment! It would be useful to have his view (though as I have no assets in argentina I'm pretty untouchable).

Please post the owner and agency information on Trip Advisor and Fodors and any other Tourist (ie potential rentor) site you can find. And do keep us posted here as to your progress. Good luck !

~Marnie

Back