New "chic" hotels in BA?

I've been through the "20 Questions" routine with friends in hotels as well as apartments. One even phoned me from the concierge desk at the Plaza complaining she couldn't understand the attendant's English.

ApartmentsBA.com has an English-speaking concierge service by phone. When they check guests into their apartments, they explain how everything works in the apartment, show them maps of the area and local restaurants (including lists of places that deliver), answer all the guest's questions, and then provide a card with the number to call for a concierge.

Some visiting aquaintances had read the nonsense about always phoning for taxis and used the apartmentsba.com concierge from all corners of the city to phone for a taxi. (Apartmentsba also provides local cell phones for their guests.)

The fact is that good hotels - what I would consider international 4-star or better - are very few in this city, and they charge the same rates as comparable places in Paris or London. For much less money, visitors can experience the city in a real neighborhood, enjoy lots of space, and have more-or-less the same level of service they would find in a decent hotel.

Of course, there are folks who can't travel with access to an in-hotel spa and 24-hour room service, but they won't find these amenities in boutique hotels here either.

I like apartmentsba BUT I will say that the 3x I rented from them before I moved here - it never quite worked out as you described. The first 2 places I rented, they never came to check me in - I dealt directly with the owners (and at the time I didn't speak Spanish - imagine how well that went). The 2nd & 3rd apt - they never came to check me out - I just left the keys on the table when I left. The 3rd time, they did come to check in but despite my having arranged for an early check-in, they came 3 hours later. One apt was without a cellphone until the day before I left, etc, etc. Nothing bad but lots of little annoyances.

I guess my point is that while their apts are nice & indeed, a good value compared to hotels, any time you rent, you had better be prepared for things not running smoothly. Again, it depends on the type of traveler and if they're used to navigating on their own.

Hey guys

If any member or reader of this forum is ever in any kind of a no-where-to-go type of jam, please feel free to call me. If you need an emergency place to stay (your apt. check-in didn't show up or the place was a disaster), somewhere to leave your stuff or hang out while you sort out a mess, or any kind of jam where you need a place to go, I'd be happy to help out.
As some of you know, I live in a large house just outside of the CF (easy to get to by cab or public trans) and I know how you can suddenly find yourself upside down in BsAs, especially if your Spanish is weak!

My cell phone is:
15 4048 4297
house phone:
4791 9610

Best Regards,

David

I hope no one ever needs to take me up on this, but if you need to please feel free!

Back