New Comer & Some Relocation Question

Sunnymoppet

Registered
Hi all,

I'm a Chinese origin who has been living in Europe for 7 years, and now moving to BA for a 9 months assignment from April - December.

I'm very much looking forward to getting to know more expats there, finding companions who are also interested in cultural events, language and sports (Hiking, skiing, swimming, badminton, dancing, etc).

While packing my staff for the relocation, I'm struggling whether should I bring my skis and mountain bikes. The delivery is not a problem as my company will take care of that, however the challenges are within Argentina. I would appreciate very much your insight tips:
  1. Is it easy to bring skis from BA to other ski resorts by plane?
  2. Is it feasible to have weekend ski trips from BA?
  3. Is there any good organized biking tours (for weekends etc) there, which will transport the mountain bike and guide the tour?
    I'm not gonna drive there, but I guess it takes quite some distance to reach a place where I can have a pleasant ride from BA, right?
Looking forward to knowing you and your help,

Thanks

Sunny

- Skiing is popular in Bariloche and in Chile, but the peak season is July and August. Figure out how many times you think you'll fly out there. Flights will be about U$S 400 - U$S 500.
- Biking is extremely popular. I'm not sure about mountain biking excursions, but tons of road bikes, and lots of places to ride.

Hope that helps.

There are a lot of bike excursions in Buenos Aires province or in the south such as the famous Cruce de los Andes. If the excursion is in BsAs province they usually transport everyone's bikes in a big truck.

Welcome Sunny! Bring your bike, but not the skis, would be my opinion. You can bike regularly on the weekends, but like Sleuth is saying, skiing is a flight away, so much less accessible in money, time, distance, and short season.

My big regret is not bringing my nice Trek bike here! It was nothing special but served me great in the US and I would love to have it here. Bought it on a sale so I got it for such a great price. Before moving to Argentina I sold it to a friend. She left it locked outside work and two weeks later it was stolen of course! (And we had bike parking in the basement of the building...)

Thank you all for the tips! Definitely I will bring my bike then!
Still struggling with skis, realistically speaking I probably won't go often skiing...on the other hand, skiing on Andes is an unique experience. Thinking of bring only my own boots/jackets/helmet, but rent skis there...

Thanks a lot - do you have any recommendations of such excursions? Just want to have a quick look at such tours...

There are a lot of bike excursions in Buenos Aires province or in the south such as the famous Cruce de los Andes. If the excursion is in BsAs province they usually transport everyone's bikes in a big truck.

If you Google excursiones de ciclismo en Buenos Aires many will pop up.

Back