New Family In Ba - Palermo

RickA

Registered
Hey Everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself along with the family, we moved down to BA a little over a week ago, and are getting settled in... already found out the answers to some questions like how to do shopping ;-), but had some others I was wondering if I could get some help on.

First off, it's myself, Rick, along with my wife and 4 year old son who are living here. I'm fluent in spanish already, but wife and son are starting to learn now. I'll be working for a large company here, so we'll be around for the next 2 years at least, and possible longer depending on how things go. We are in a temporary apartment now until the rest of our household goods get shipped down, we are very close to the Alto Palermo shopping mall.

3 main questions I have right now:

Any reccomendations on schools/tutors for the wife to learn spanish? I'm working during the day, and she is taking care of our son until we get him into a school (see question #2), so ideally we are looking for a school where she can go at night, or have someone come to our house during the day. Any referrals welcome, as well as suggestions on how else she can quickly get up to speed on spanish.

Our son is 4, and we would like to get him in a pre-school/daycare as soon as possible, preferrably one where they speak mostly spanish but with some english to help him transition in. He is very quick to pick up the language, so I'm not too worried about him learning spanish but want him to be able to communicate in english when necessary. Any reccomendations on schools in the Palermo area?

Any mommy/play groups in the palermo or surrounding areas? Would love for my wife to be able to go and interact with other expat moms/nanny's and kids.

Thanks in advance for the answers, we are very much looking forward to having fun here, and learning the quirks of the culture. Also, I work with computers all day, so if anyone needs help with fixing computers, just let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Any reccomendations on schools/tutors for the wife to learn spanish?
There are many private tutors that will come to your house and teach Spanish. I don't have a specific recommendation but use the search function on this forums homepage. From my experience one-on-one is the way forward with early language learning. Try to immerse as much as possible into the language to with language interchanges like Spanglish

Any reccomendations on schools in the Palermo area?
Try Lincoln school

Any mommy/play groups in the palermo or surrounding areas?
There is a play group on this forum. Use the search function on the homepage again.

For most inquiries you will find that most of your questions as a new arrival have extensively been answered here already.

I have been taking classes from a private tutor named Guille. He is a fabulous teacher and a great conversationist. Always keeps the classes very relevants and interesting. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clases-de-espa%C3%B1ol-Study-Learn-Spanish-in-Buenos-Fucking-Aires/308082259224586

Thanks for the tips all... for spanish classes we met with the instructer from Bueno, Dale (http://baspanishlessons.com/cms/) tonight and the wife will start classes with her on Monday. We'll see how that goes, then re-evaluate in a week or 2.

For schools, we looked at Aletheia which seems to be a well thought of school on the forums here, and Arco Iris, which I didn't find after a forum search. We were not that impressed with Aletheia, it seemed to be fairly small and crowded, with not many different activities for the kids to do. Arco Iris was in a much bigger building, and seemed to have a lot more variety of activities and rooms for the kiddo... Ultimately we will probably wait until we get a long-term apartment and look at the schools closest to there, but right now we are leaning towards Arco Iris.

Hi! My name is Melissa and I am 20 years old from the U.S, currently studying abroad in Buenos Aires. I am looking for babysitting positions within the city while I am here! If you have any need for a babysitter, feel free to contact me. I live right by the Alto Palermo Mall. I have been babysitting for over 6 years, and I have alot of experience with 3-4 year olds! In the U.S I have found multiple positions on sites such as sittercity and care.com and I have no problem providing references if needed. I look forward to hearing from you.

Back