New in town, working on next book

It's funny. I came here in 2005 to retire early and do freelance writing for a marketing company in NYC that I had done a lot of work for. About two months after I arrived the guy keeled over from a heart attack. I took that as an omen and haven't written a word since. :)

I just finished writing a small book (in Spanish) regarding a burning security issue (CCW, or Carry Concealed Weapons), the issue is virtually unknown here. It is being printed now.
I am writing another novel (in English this time) regarding the Malvinas Islands controversy, etc.
I can give you guys some ideas or themes for you to publish in the future.
Pls PM me, no costs involved here (just a cuf coffe).

steveinbsas said:
Can you provide a couple links (or even one) to any "magazine pieces" that have published something that you wrote?

Thanks for all the responses!

As for the above, I can't tell if the tone is curious or doubtful (it can be hard to tell in forum postings. But if you are interested, I used to be a writer for Slate Magazine in the US, and I've written here and there for the New Yorker talk of the town, New Republic, Forbes, etc., here is some some random links:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...worth_the_risk_and_the_grueling_hike_up_.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ia_obsession/getting_started_in_mongolia.html

Here is my latest book, 2010

http://www.amazon.com/The-Master-Switch-Information-Empires/dp/0307390993/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

I'm working on a new one, starting with a book review.

I'm also an academic, but I didn't want to use this forum to self-advertise, so to speak.

I'm in Palermo Botanico. I like to write at a cafe called "fleur de la dia," and there is another called "voulez bar" that is good but busier.

Welcome to BA !

You've got some good Amazon reviews, I'll check out The Master Switch soon

(I'm not by any means a writer, but an I.T. geek)

I beg to differ about the coffee, which I rather like (at least from decent cafes). Not quite Milan, but better than US or Canada and certainly London.
As for writing, I adhere to the 8-hours-a-day, 5-days-a-week, at your desk school of writing (from Woody Allen and James Mitchener, no less), with an occasional break for a shot of whiskey. But Poesia is nice. There are lotsd big, old style cafes that have good wifi and dark corners to hide in.

Personally I like real isolation. I just spent 3 months finishing my third book of non-fiction. I went to Salta and lived at a scientific research centre up in the mountains. Sadly, I was robbed on the way back to BA and lost the last 1/4 of my manuscript and am busy trying to re-create it even as I flesh out my next effort.

If you want to hook up for a coffee and commiserate about stupid editors, in a gfew weeks I will have some time. I am in Olivos, but go downtown sveral times a week.

Good luck with the book.

hey, i'm also a writer, also from new york, more or less. maybe we should do some kind of meet up? i'm terrible at organizing anything but is anyone down?

Just retired here from New York and about to write my first piece of fiction. Would love to chat with an experienced writer.

trennod said:
The cafe culture is great and there are plenty of nice cafes with good ambience. Its just too bad the coffee is crap. :cool:

Completely agree the coffee is crap! I am not a writer but a dental school student. If someone's looking to sit down at cafe and just needs plain company, I am available. I have plenty of studying to do and can definitely use the presence of someone else to keep me motivated. I'm from jersey by the way!

Back