New Law requires that 17 Dangerous Dog breeds be registered or face possible fines.

D.B. Cooper

Registered
This just came out yesterday. It requires dog owners of certain breeds that are potentially dangerous be registered with local authorities.
Some of the dog breeds are well know to have a “bad” reputation. Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Doberman, Dogo, Akita, Presa Canario, etc.
Check the link to see the complete list of breeds. I love all animals, I don’t own a dog at the moment. I grew up with a Beagle, pretty harmless. But some of the breeds on the list are very intimidating.

Last edited:
Law is 10 years old but the rules were only implemented recently.

Looks like the same thinking applied to gun licensing (it's not ownership).

Iz

Beagles are anything but harmless. I dog sat a beagle one weekend and it was hell on earth. The thing totally deliberately destroyed everything it could, howled whenever I looked away from it, managed to figure out how to open the fridge and pull stuff out, the works. They should add them to this list!

This just came out yesterday. It requires dog owners of certain breeds that are potentially dangerous be registered with local authorities.
Some of the dog breeds are well know to have a “bad” reputation. Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Doberman, Dogo, Akita, Presa Canario, etc.
Check the link to see the complete list of breeds. I love all animals, I don’t own a dog at the moment. I grew up with a Beagle, pretty harmless. But some of the breeds on the list are very intimidating.
The author of that article, and, or those who comprised that list have not seen an angry chihuahua!

Large dogs may be intimidating, but small hysterical breeds can be vicious. I've petted thousands of dogs, including Rottweilers, Dobermans and pit bull teriers, and was only bitten twice, both times by small lap dogs.

Large dogs may be intimidating, but small hysterical breeds can be vicious. I've petted thousands of dogs, including Rottweilers, Dobermans and pit bull teriers, and was only bitten twice, both times by small lap dogs.
For sure, little dogs tend to be more tenacious in general day-to-day activity. However, I have never seen a yorkshire terrier, shih tzu, or chihuahua tear a cat apart but I have seen a pit bull do it. I have also not read many stories about those small dogs killing people. It is absolutley all about the owner but the small dog could snap 50 times in its life and the consequences would be few. A big dog could snap once and the consequences are likely to be dire.

Small breeds are hyper aware that the bigger world and all that is in it, is a threat to them. So they are naturally on guard and ready to go on the offensive for self preservation purposes.

I can't tell you how many times my chi has saved himself from injury or death because he is dancing away from problems and sticking up for himself.

For sure, little dogs tend to be more tenacious in general day-to-day activity. However, I have never seen a yorkshire terrier, shih tzu, or chihuahua tear a cat apart but I have seen a pit bull do it. I have also not read many stories about those small dogs killing people. It is absolutley all about the owner but the small dog could snap 50 times in its life and the consequences would be few. A big dog could snap once and the consequences are likely to be dire.
I have no statistics, care not to search for any either, so I am expressing a blind opinion someone may care to verify. My guess is that the majority of dog bites come from small breeds and the severe injuries or deaths come from the bigger breeds. That sounds likely.

I have no statistics, care not to search for any either, so I am expressing a blind opinion someone may care to verify. My guess is that the majority of dog bites come from small breeds and the severe injuries or deaths come from the bigger breeds. That sounds likely.
I would suggest the same. No stats from me either, although I think record keeping on bites from small breeds would be incomplete anyway.

Back