New Media Law

LostinBA

Registered
Do you guys think it's possible that CFK's new media law could also be directed at websites like this forum in order to quash dissent and debate?

Could someone please break down the basic details of the media law?
I get it that CFK wants to use it to break Clarin's virtual monopoly, but what are the specifics?

LostinBA said:
Do you guys think it's possible that CFK's new media law could also be directed at websites like this forum in order to quash dissent and debate?

I think any government would find it difficult regulating websites hosted out side the country.

Unless the are planning the great firewall of Argentina.

We may have to be a little more careful about revealing personal details about ourselves though.:(

The law regulates media companies. This forum can't be classified as that.

This media law really isn't about regulating media, although I think it does that to a certain degree. It's about two powerful groups. Grupo Clarin and Nestor Kirchner were good friends up until Grupo Clarin was unable to acquire Telecom, and, as a result, opposed CFK in 2008 over the export taxes.

I have to laugh when groups like Freedom House defend Clarin and La Nacion due to the lack of press freedom. Press freedom might be an issue in Argentina, but Clarin and La Nacion have about as much journalistic integrity as MSNBC or FOX News. They are political organizations that masquerade as journalistic entities, just like the so-called journalists on TV Publica and pro-government newspapers like "Tiempo Argentino" and "Pagina 12".

With Clarin, there are almost daily examples of its bias. Last week, for example, the government announced that they would be investing $800 million pesos in the Sarmiento train line. This was the frontpage of Clarin the following day:

376849_10150904432836971_1569736586_n.jpg

Clarin doesn't even mention the investment. It just says that the "government promises that it will do repairs, many of which have been put off." A silly analogy: If you seal off a room in your house because you painted the walls, is the headline going to be, "Room Sealed Off" or "Room in the House Gets a Fresh Coat of Paint". Talk about burying the lead!

This was the cover of "Tiempo Argentino", a government endorsed paper, on the same day:

182128_10150904431461971_1044328467_n.jpg

There's a small mention of the train investment in the corner, but the headline is, of course, about Macri. :rolleyes:

The question we should be asking is: How will this media law improve media literacy in Argentina? I suppose the answer to that question is still up for debate, but it appears that there will just be a lot more politically-induced noise, and not so much clarity.

Sorry for going off topic, but are there any reliable media outlets in Argentina? Something middle of the road? Any relatively independent / centrist dailies ?

I get sick of trying to cross reference the govt propaganda rags against clarin/la nacion !

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
Sorry for going off topic, but are there any reliable media outlets in Argentina? Something middle of the road? Any relatively independent / centrist dailies ?

I get sick of trying to cross reference the govt propaganda rags against clarin/la nacion !
Exactly what I was going to ask.

I read it, the news section is a little light, online at least. I'd prefer something en castellano also.

The Argentina Independent takes headlines from the Spanish newspapers and makes stories in English for non-Spanish speakers. They have cool editorials though that are their own. I read La Nación headlines and Argentina Independent headlines and they are usually the same (although AI only takes 1/40 of La Nacion's headlines per day) but I appreciate that they cover the whole Latin American region.... and I like the editorials, the Weekly News Roundup (highly sarcastic and silly editorial) and the Music for the Weekend section!

Back