New to Buenos Aires - my introduction

Harmony

Registered
My name is Harmony and I just arrived to Buenos Aires this past Tuesday. It is my second time coming for a visit, this time I will be here for a few months to start, maybe longer. I'm from Buffalo, NY and this weather change is quite nice. I am here with my boyfriend Moshe who is a composer/musician. I am excited by this new change. I have my BA and MA in Economics with an advanced certification in International Finance. I have worked for the US commercial service in Melbourne Australia, however the last couple of years I was working in Buffalo as an insurance adjuster.

I am ready to take a break from office work. :))))) I really love working with my hands, babysitting, as well as interacting with people.

I'm looking forward to taking classes in carpentry and tango. If anyone has some recommendations, please send them my way.

Harmony Johnson
[email protected]

Hi Harmony! Welcome back to BA and welcome to the forum. I hope that you will enjoy your time here in the city. Is your boyfriend an Argentine or did he come down with you?

As for the classes, I really don't have a clue, but I am sure that someone else on the forum might be able to help you.

Hi Harmony!

My parents are from Buffalo NY and Ive got cousins from there I don't really know :)

I don't like Tango sorry, or know where to take carpentry classes, but I do know a good carpenter, I could give you his number via PM if you thought it'd do you any good.

Where you guys living here?

Best,
Joe

Hi Harmony,
I'm from Montreal (fairly close to Buffalo no?), I'm a carpenter (among other things) although I am not giving any courses; however I do have a friend of a family member that does (if you don't mind doing it in Spanish), his wife also gives classes in arts.

I can hook you up with the better places to get tools and/or material... believe me, it's a true test of patience to find what you need in this city when they don't even use the same word for "clamp" from one end of the city to the other.

Tango... ummm, can't help you there. Surprisingly, NONE of my argie in-laws even know how to tango. Go fig.

Cheers

gpop
I would greatly appreciate the information for the classes with the friend of a family member. Also, The information about where to get tools and materials would be helpful as well. My email is [email protected]

Also, if you would like to meet for a coffee or a beer let me know.

Thank you again.

JoeBlow said:
Hi Harmony!

My parents are from Buffalo NY and Ive got cousins from there I don't really know :)

I don't like Tango sorry, or know where to take carpentry classes, but I do know a good carpenter, I could give you his number via PM if you thought it'd do you any good.

Where you guys living here?

Best,
Joe
How interesting that your parents are from Buffalo! I'm not from there, but moved there to go to college 10 years ago.
We are living in La Boca to start. People keep saying that it is dangerous or scary here, but I've enjoyed it so far. I still just follow the same rules as in the US, I don't go out at night alone, don't wear flashy clothes, have a calm demeanor.

Hi Harmony! My boyfriend (local Argy) does a carpentry work shop in Caballito on Fridays from 6-9. He loves it. It's a bit out of the way but if you want the info on that, send me a private message and I will ask him about it for you. Also, a French friend who lives here for the tango (half the year, the other half working as a tour guide in the US) goes to a studio in Villa Crespo to practice, I can get the details for that as well.. send me a pm if you are interested in either! ~Lucha

Hey Harmony,

I went to la cathedral on sarmiento last week, it was great fun. they have a restaurant too which was lovely, you should definitely check it out.

enjoy.
anna x

La Catedral is not the best place to learn traditional tango.
I suggest you go to El Beso, mo-we-fri-su at 8 pm for clases.
Avoid La Viruta, la Ideal and La Catedral for clases.
If you are interested in "new Tango" (something alike salsa with tango music), then DNI is the proper place for you.
Regards

I love DNI for Tango lessons!!! ( Cordoba y Bulnes) This is our second year visiting BA!!! More tango/ Milonga this visit and i love it!!! I like La Viruta tho because my friends goes there and we have a good time. Plus its only 30 pesos for lessons, dancing ang some shows like Otros Aires!!! Come to La Viruta tomorrow night. Otros Aires Band (Neo Tango) will play there! I love Otros Aires!! They are cool!!!

Back