Newcomer from the States!

banewbie1

Registered
My name is Mayda, I am 22 years old, and I am from Buffalo, NY. I am going to be moving to Buenos Aires at the end of October with a friend. As of right now, I have no job secured, but have been TEFL certified and would like to find a job for the upcoming school year. My friend and I don't really have too much of a plan, we hope to find jobs and housing once we get down there. If anyonescan offer some advice on finding work, apts, or just basic need-to-knows about living in Argentina I would greatly apprectiate it. Thanks!

banewbie1 said:
My name is Mayda, I am 22 years old, and I am from Buffalo, NY. I am going to be moving to Buenos Aires at the end of October with a friend. As of right now, I have no job secured, but have been TEFL certified and would like to find a job for the upcoming school year. My friend and I don't really have too much of a plan, we hope to find jobs and housing once we get down there. If anyonescan offer some advice on finding work, apts, or just basic need-to-knows about living in Argentina I would greatly apprectiate it. Thanks!
Hi Mayda, and welcome to the forum.

You don't actually talk about moving here without at least a visit for a couple of weeks to get an impression of the country, do you?

In that case you have a busy year of research ahead of you.

Buy this book immediately - and I mean today - and read it several times over:

http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Shock...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250220628&sr=1-1

While you are reading the book with one eye, read through all threads from e.g. January 2008 until the present in Newcomers http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/ and Expat Life http://baexpats.org/expat-life/

Then, and only then, ask ask ask and go on asking.

When you read through the older threads, you'll realize why I - and probably others too - felt a twinge in the stomach while reading you post.

You are not about to jump from Buffalo to e.g. Idaho or Texas, you are about to move to another country with a very different culture.

Besides - don't hope - do something to know, find out where jobs may be available, where and how you can find a home, or else you are scheduled for an unpleasant surprise - Not at home is not at home.

If you think the above sounds a bit harsh, it is nothing compared to what you are going to experience, if you arrive unprepared.

Lee said:
Failing to plan is planing to fail.

jaja, Lee I guess you're not 22!

To the OP:

Are you coming down here with some cash or a line of credit (even from your parents)?? BA isn't as cheap as it used to be. I haven't investigated rents in Buffalo, but rents for foreigners here are usually about the same as a smaller US city. And your rent could be in USD. But your pay will be in pesos. And your rent could be 3x as much as your teaching salary, at least to start with.

Secondly, you say you're coming in October -- the new school year won't start until March -- will you have enough money to be unemployed until then? You can read from others' experiences on this board that the job situation can be rather dire through the summer.

Thirdly, what kind of lifestyle are you hoping for in BA? Are you planning on renting in a place with a bunch of other people, or do you want a 2 bedroom together? What level of comfort are you looking for? Are you wanting to come and live the high life in Argentina, or are you happy if you live the lower-middle-class life? On a teacher's salary you're going to be living much more like a local and much less like a rich American expatriado. In other words, no going out for dinner every night, no going to night clubs with 60 peso entrance on the door, and no shopping sprees at Alto Palermo, let alone Galerias Pacifico, hell, even a trip to the Cine at Village Recoleta will eat into your earnings these days!

Plenty of people live on a teacher's salary, but live a normal style of life, not a party it up at the best clubs and restaurants life. The salary just doesn't stretch -- for one hour of teaching you can buy yourself one cocktail at most bars in Palermo. So if you think that you can teach english AND live the high life, don't deceive yourselves.

If you're happy with living a student-style life, or have the luxury of supplemental income (ie allowance) from your parents, or have a decent amount of savings when you come, then you'll have more access to the high life. Otherwise you'll have to adjust your frame of mind before you arrive.

Again, I agree with John.St -- moving to BA without a prior investigation is a big leap. There are plenty of people who have done it and loved it (I'm 4 years here) but there are others who have HATED every moment -- check out Hot Yoga Teacher's (HYT) posts and you'll get the other end of the spectrum of someone who jumped in completely blind and has been regretting it ever since.

Hello again everyone and thanks for all the advice!

I think that my original post may have been a bit misunderstood however. When I say we don't have any set plans I meant that we don't have a secured english teaching job and we don't have a permanent place to stay. I am aware the school year doesn't start until March and I have saved plenty of money to account for this. I have planned for temporary housing. I speak Spanish and I have friends who live in BsAs. I am very accustomed to living like a student and do not plan to live the "high life". I know teachers in BsAs do not make much money.

I was just hoping that someone would offer a "check this website out for housing" or "i found employment teaching throught this website, or this school" etc etc. I really do appreciate all your feedback though and I will definitely check out those books. I know living in Buenos Aires isn't going to be easy, but I am prepared for a new adventure (the good and the bad).

I'm not completely blind, I swear :)

If you're looking for a serious job or contacts to help, you might try searching your university's alumni network and find people that live here. That's how I found my job...

banewbie1 said:
I was just hoping that someone would offer a "check this website out for housing" or "i found employment teaching throught this website, or this school" etc etc.
Read through the older threads in Newcomers and you'll find tons of tips & tricks.

banewbie1 said:
I know living in Buenos Aires isn't going to be easy, but I am prepared for a new adventure (the good and the bad).

I'm not completely blind, I swear :)
Glad to know that.

For some Argentina is Paradise, for others Hell, for most people somewhere in between.

Enjoy your stay.

Back