Newcomer phone question

nvlinks

Registered
We are new to Argentina and would like to know how people handle local mobile phone calls and what is best for calling back to the Unites States? Are there certain companies that make sense for Americans calling home?

Hable Mas is a good int dialling card,10 pesos for 1 houir of calls

You should simply use skype! It´s the cheapest. www.skype.com you can use it from anywhere there is wi-fi, and putting US$10, u can talk for a looooooooong time! Good luck!

An oft missed option are all the Locotorios. I phone my daughter in Bournemouth (UK) and it costs less than phoning from home.
True it is not always convenient, but for me the biggest problem is finding the monedas, because it is that cheap. Oh and there is a meter on the wall so you can see what it is costing you.

this isnt for mobile use........ but try magicjack... of course you have to buy this in the USA (like wal-mart) before you come down.. it is like 29 dollars a year for unlimited calls to the USA and Canada.... been a great internet phone for me.. not perfect but works.. and you get to select the best area code for you when you set it up.. so people can call you from "home" like a local call.... plus you can always give it out as your home phone for credit card companies, banks etc... Skype is also good... but the magicjack thing has been a good thing for me!

tangobob said:
An oft missed option are all the Locotorios. I phone my daughter in Bournemouth (UK) and it costs less than phoning from home.
True it is not always convenient, but for me the biggest problem is finding the monedas, because it is that cheap. Oh and there is a meter on the wall so you can see what it is costing you.
hey Bob.my son lives in Bournemouth too,in Christchurch:):):)

I use skype for video chat and my magic jack is awesome!!

GoogleTalk is also good (can do voice only or voice+video). In some ways, I like it more than SKYPE.

By the way, an UNLOCKED phone is not the same as a pre-paid (prepagar) phone. Unlocked phones are the black market types (usually) which allow you to put ANY Telco company chip /SIM inside.

Prepaid phones are cheap and best for local calling and text messages. I use MovieStar.

Skype to SKype calls are free. If you use skype to call a phone # in the US & Canada it costs 2 cents a minute. SKype has an unlimited US/Canada plan for $2.95/month. I use that plan as it is the cheapest solution i know of. There is also a unlimited global plan for about $10/month.

Back