Newcomer phone question

Will an unlocked phone from the USA work in Argentina? I have an unlocked blackberry that works on like three of the major frequencies. Will it work there? It uses sim cards

Check out VoipStunt - some report problems, but I have never had any. Cheaper than Skype.

I have an unlocked blackberry and it works really well with a Personal sim card. I've really had no issues. All you need to do is buy credit and your good to go!

Does anyone know about getting a data plan for an iphone? When I traveled to Europe I got a pre-paid SIM, which worked for calls but not data.

BostonToBA said:
Does anyone know about getting a data plan for an iphone? When I traveled to Europe I got a pre-paid SIM, which worked for calls but not data.

Data plans are available pre-paid or by contract. Prepaid prices can be high (eg., 1GB for AR$10).

Contract plans are a lot more affordable, but getting a contract can be problematic if you don't have what they ask for (bank account, direct debit, DNI, and/or local credit report). We have contract for one of our iPhones and pay AR$115/mo for unlimited data, plus cell services and fees.

There's a few threads on the subject here. You can use the search feature here to find more info.

Good luck! :)

can you put an argentinian sim in an unlocked iphone or unlocked blackberry and iwt will work - including the internet?

thanks.

goldapple said:
can you put an argentinian sim in an unlocked iphone or unlocked blackberry and iwt will work - including the internet?

Probably not. My (UK sourced) unlocked Samsung Jet works fine for calls and texts but nothing else. And trying to find out what to do from Claro or Samsung leads to a very Argentinian outcome....."it's not our responsibility - go talk to (the other one)."

Alzinho said:
Probably not. My (UK sourced) unlocked Samsung Jet works fine for calls and texts but nothing else. And trying to find out what to do from Claro or Samsung leads to a very Argentinian outcome....."it's not our responsibility - go talk to (the other one)."

Like each new phones are Tri- or Quadband for GSM. So you never will have troubles. Other is the UMTS stuff. There are very low phones who will have Triband on UMTS like Nokia N97.

I use the Noka N97 but the US model because here in South of America the most operator will use 850 frequency for DATA. But will work in Europe too because the US model will have 2100 frequency which will be used there.

If you have a US model it would work here in Argentina (as it will have 850/1900 UMTS). European model will only have 900/2100 and 900 don't exist here in Argentina. So on ranges with 2100 you can have luck but don't think about it ;)

Back