newcomer says hello & how about going fishing!

seeker

Registered
Hi everyone

I´ve been lurking for a week or two. I´m an English Teacher here in Buenos Aires. I would be interested in meeting up with other teachers to swap ideas and whatever.

I´m also thinking of "organising" a weekend camping/fishing trip to Lobos, about 100km out of the city. Actually, my plan to organise this is a bit laughable as I know absolutely nothing about Fishing. But I do know that Lobos is easy and cheap to get to by train, has at least one camp site, and that you can fish. I would like to get a small group together for this. Interested? Anyone out there who actually knows one end of a fishing rod from another? Anyone know which species of fish Idiots should be angling for at this time of year? I say this because I believe teh Perjerrey is a bit difficult to catch...

Lizzy Muzzy

Registered
Seeker,

I just moved here about a week ago and trying to come up with a plan on making some money - maybe I can help you with the fishing trip (I love fly fishing and know a fair bit but don't kick me to the curb if we don't rake in tons) - in exchange maybe you could help me with getting in on teaching english or doing tour guiding?

How long have you been here for?

my email is lizzymuzzy@gmail.com

-Lizzy Muzzy

kikedeolivos

Registered
Lobos is a great lake to fish, specially, pejerrey, and the timing is perfect, not too cold.

Pejerrey is a GREAT fish, very tricky to catch, but enjoyable. (if you like fishing and don't mind hours on a little boat waiting for them to get the bait-routine that I enjoy)

Pejerrey's rods are very special. They are what we call "telescopic", like 4 sections (12 to 15 feet long, extended)
You'll need a spinning reel, and the appropriate bait, like live mojarras (little fresh water fish sold near the fishing spots). They give you a plastic bag with, maybe, 40 of them. The bag is filled out with water and oxygen to last the fishing day. For what we call "lineas", there's 2 options and infinite variations.

You could fish " a flote" with a Paternoster or a line with 3 to 5 buoys? (boyas) or deep fishing.

For "pesca a flote" you'll need to adjust the depth of your hooks permanently until you find the sweet spot.

And, a piece of advice, it could get cold in the middle of the lake. (not Lake Michigan cold, don't worry)

Pascal Checkley

Registered
hey seeker!
hows it going?
would be cool to meet up - im an english teacher too.
dont really know anything about fishing, but if you wanna meet for a drink im round most days / weekends.
take it easy.
p.

seeker

Registered
@Pascal--yup, I should be up for a beer. Give me a week or two though.

@ kikedeolivos..man you seem to know a lot about fishing. And I'm grateful for your detailed reply...but don't you think that he perjerrey is a bit, well, "involved" for a novice? Do you know anything about the availability of less ambitious (read easier-to-catch-with-really-basic-equipment) type fish? Sorry to give you the third degree.

@lizzy..not sure if I can help you with tourguiding...I can tell you a bit about English teaching though. Good luck with your enterprises btw...I will email you soon, no doubt asking you fishing stuff, like which end of a rod do you hit the fish :eek:with etc.