Newcomer - very new :)

eveagnes

Registered
I am practically starting a new life in BA in 2 weeks.
I quit my job, after 3 yrs and I am very happy for that cause although they were nice to me I never felt I really could adopt their principles...

I'll pack 1 luggage and I give away the rest of my stuff.
As I don't have family (husband, child,...) I am not giving up anyone - well my mum, but she knows I have to do this and she believes in me
I don't have apartment that I am buying here like most of my friends - most of them pay around 90,000.00 USD in 20 yrs to have the apartment :(( so they are blocked. I am not like that, I need to see the World and maybe after that I will try to buy my own apartment.

I would love to find a job right away i am there!! :)
I love working and I feel that I still can check around the country and have a job at the same time.

I would love to work in a Café or restaurant, I am very good at being a waitress or a bartender.
I worked on a cruise ship before on the Caribbeans and in London and in 4 star hotels here in Budapest, where I am from
I do have experience in other areas like purchasing/accounting and I am a teacher by degree but I thing serving people coffee and cocktails or a nice dish in a nice restaurant on the beach is what I'd enjoy the most.

If anybody has idea/advise I am happy to listen to :)

This is the story :) thank you for reading

Good for you, that's what I did over 6 years ago.

Details were different, as always, but same idea.

You should have no trouble finding a job (working under the table) in a restaurant if your Spanish is fluent. As for the pay... don't expect hourly or tips like what you might be used to. Average tip is 10%. Good luck and have fun!

With respect, this is not like Spain where non-Spanish-speakers can find jobs.

Spanish is essential.

Hello and welcome! I'll be doing something very similar myself quite soon; quitting everything here in England and effectively starting a new life in Buenos Aires in September.

If like me your Spanish is either non-existant or very basic, you might want to look in to attending a language school for at least a couple of weeks when you arrive. I've recently spent a few weeks in the city and until you start to absorb the language it can be quite disorienting.

Best of luck with your new start!

mendozanow said:
With respect, this is not like Spain where non-Spanish-speakers can find jobs.

Spanish is essential.

I fully agree, unlike many other parts of the world, English is not widely spoken by the locals. And many that do speak English don't like to because they are embarrassed about their accents (which is silly). English is more likely to be found amongst pockets of educated people, but it's not like travelling in other areas where every person you run into can at least shout out their few standard phrases in a variety of languages.

Be prepared to look for a job for a long time -- even the locals do. Have a look through this board, if you're stuck for work you can probably get something in a call center. Unfortunately without a DNI it can be harder to find something, but it's not impossible. I just don't want you to think that it's going to be a walk in the park to find a job.

Also -- beaches, no, not right now dear, it's winter -- beaches in Argentina won't be visited until last week of December to about March.

Hey Everybody, :)

Thanks for the posts :)

I am not sure what is the situation in Spain - I have never been there.
I fully understand you concern and I do have doubts about language-question too.

The reason why I try to look at this confidently is that I understand Spanish very well as I have been working in an environment with some Spanish speaking ppl (Mexicans) for 3 years. Also, I speak high level, fluent French which also helps me understand Spanish.
On the other hand, I never had to pronounce Spanish word as my areas were all English speaking regions in my present job.

Being a language teacher and knowing my skills and limits I assume I will not need more than 1 months to start speaking Spanish too. (of course on a beginners level, but I am sure this will progress swiftly)

:)))

Back