Newcomer

You will find most apartments bearing "aquila" signs are unfurnished and only available for long term leases (two years). You can find many furnished temporary apartments on craigslist and other sites using a google search. You can also find rental shares. You can rent a palce for a month or two while you search for another one (more to your liking and/or budget) for the aditional six months (if necessary).

Many "newcomers" are very unhappy with their first apartments here, usually do to noise or security issues. Hopefully, you have a very short term rental (b&b, hostel, etc.) lined up for the first week or two.

Hey there Jessi! Welcome to BA. I've been living and working here for 4 months now. I'm from the UK and I'm working as an English teacher. I'm here with my boyfriend but I'm really hoping to meet some great girlfriends - as I'm missing mine!

Anyway I hope the move is ok and if you want to meet for a coffee one morning or afternoon, or a beer later on just drop me a line.

My email is [email protected]

Liz Hibberd:)

I just moved here last week, so welcome to the party Jess!

I moved in with a friend of a friend in Palermo Soho and actually seemed to have found quite a cozy spot. My roommate is part of a University program so I've been exploring solo these last few days - if you're interested in grabbing coffee or exploring any of the barrios - I'm always up for an adventure!

Maybe Liz (from above) you and I could get coffee soon to make some new contacts.

My email is [email protected]

-Lizzy Muzzy

Hi all!
I just moved here from Boston last week and will be here for about 10 months. I'd love to meet some new people living here as well, so if you do decide to meet up for a drink or coffee, I'd love to join. I'm currently living in a flat-share in Abasto while I look for some place more permanent to live as well.

My email is [email protected]. I look forward to meeting you all!

Take care,
Lauren

Hello!

So, I am a soon-to-be-newcomer, too, I'll be coming down in about one week! If you're still up for meeting new people, I'd love to meet you all. (Lauren, I lived in Boston for about the five years leading up to this spring- well Cambridge, technically! I'm midwest native but I loved it there.)

Feel free to send me a private message! Hope to meet you all soon!

Liz

Jessi!
Your instincts about these businesses are right on. Last year, I enrolled to study abroad at UBA and surprisingly paid nothing in tuition and less than I would have paid for my own apartment in my hometown to live (it's different in every facultad, as they each have their own governance) as opposed to the $12,000 semester study abroad programs. Another friend I met while taking a Spanish class paid/wasted over $2000 USD to be set up in some kind of "ïnternship," teaching English there, only to find out they were actually looking to hire someone. These programs do provide a service, particularly for people who are just learning the language, but if you can get around it, you are doing the smart thing!

I recommend if you have no place to live looking at craig´s list. I know it sounds crazy, but in the roommate´s section, I found a great place in Amalgro last year. I paid about the same as I would where I´m from, a little over 300 dollars a month, but it was furnished and came with wi-fi and all utilities paid. You cannot "rent" a regular apartment in the way we understand it in the States, unless you have a garante, or a person willing to cosign the contract with you, usually for two years, that must OWN property themselves here. When I first landed, I just stayed in a common room in a SMALL hostel for a couple weeks until I found a place to live. While not ideal, the 12 person sleeping room with the kitchen at least allowed me to spend only about 12 bucks a night plus groceries till I got settled.

Being fluent in Spanish will be a big help, but be warned: prices for expats are three to four or more times more than for locals. Case in point, a friend from France who is fluent in Spanish set up an appointment to see a room THROUGH her Argentine friend who confirmed the price in advance as 600 pesos (having experiences with these price switcharoos) and when the landlord found out she was from France assumed she had euros (she actually works at a low-ish Argentine salary of 1300 pesos a month) and said that he actually meant 600 dollars. I have heard many stories like this, and while it could be argued some kind of price differential is fair, just shop around and make sure to ask questions, particularly about the hours folks keep if you are not a night owl. On the plus, there are no leases, so you can always get out if you have to!

best! emily

Hi,

My name is Haley and I just moved here about two weeks ago from Los Angeles. I am living with a friend from LA in Palermo and I am looking to meet new people as well. My email address is [email protected], I would love to meet up for some coffee, wine, dinner and conversation!

Ciao,

Haley

Back